Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7,594 / Views: 363,109Next Topic
Page: of 507
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numisma Gothic Florin is a Florin = 0 points, you can't post an identical coin to mine. Not all Florins are Gothic, but all Gothic Florins are Florins (Of course a Gothic crown would be a points scorer).

Jbuck - 4 points, the size of the 50 cent coin is 30.5mm which is over 30mm

I should make it clear 28.0mm to 30.0mm not 30.9mm.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
99185 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jbuck - 4 points, the size of the 50 cent coin is 30.5mm which is over 30mm
I have two sources that say otherwise... It is 30mm... Not 30.5...

https://www.coincommunity.com/us_ha...ped_bust.asp

And from the Red Book...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17241 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I trust Princetane's source.

Quote:
I have two sources that say otherwise... It is 30mm... Not 30.5...

Pillar of the Community
United States
4856 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Numisma Gothic Florin is a Florin = 0 points, you can't post an identical coin to mine.

What I see in the rules is that they're not prohibited, but just don't get the extra point for being British:

Quote:
British coin (Can't be a Florin) + 1 point
Learn More...
United States
99185 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2385 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1840s 2 points
British 1 point
sterling 1 point
woman 1 point
lions 7 points
thistle, tudor rose, shamrock, 2 sets of branches 5 points?
crown 1 point
Latin 1 point
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arkie - Great coin - 19 Points

Dorado - It is common knowledge here that a entrants coin should not be the same or very similar to the exemplar's coin.

I have got time for debating and interpreting legalese, I am not some slimy New York Lawyer looking for loopholes.

0 points for the coin and disqualification from the round for being cheeky and questioning my rule.

J Buck - very half dollar I see is at least 30.5mm including the modern ones - so how could it be a 180 year old one is smaller yet weighs 13.36 grams when my 1977 proof one weighs 10.98 grams?

4 points or nothing - your choice.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2385 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane, here are two heavily worn 19th century half dollars. The upper one is a seated liberty, the lower a bust half. I think it is clear that the diameter of the two coins is different. FWIW, the O mintmark on the seated liberty proves it was minted before the US Civil War.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11523 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  04:00 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is common knowledge here that a entrants coin should not be the same or very similar to the exemplar's coin.

That is completely untrue. In fact, the very first challenge was for an exact match.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3135 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. All other members then compete to post another example of that coin first.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17241 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why can't you guys just play the game instead of being questioning queenies.

I am the manager, my rules, don't like them - don't play.
If you can't stand the heat, get yo *** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable. *** out of the kitchen as Coolio says.

J Buck - 4 Points
Arkie - 19 Points
Dorado - 0 points
Learn More...
United States
99185 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how could it be a 180 year old one is smaller yet weighs 13.36 grams when my 1977 proof one weighs 10.98 grams?
Well, first of all, 90% silver is denser than Cu-Ni clad.

Time to get educated...

The US half dollar was originally struck out of collar, so the diameter varied (32-33mm).

The first collared half dollar, the one I presented here, was 30mm.

The Seated half dollar which replaced this design and started in 1839 was the first to be 30.6mm (not 30.5mm). This is the size used for every US half dollar minted since.

So, the problem here is you are comparing a modern apple to a classic orange.

I am not going to quibble over a single point, it is your round; however, the record will reflect that I was correct.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4856 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dorado - It is common knowledge here that a entrants coin should not be the same or very similar to the exemplar's coin.

Hey, I'm not trying to cause trouble. Your rules never specified that an exact match wasn't allowed, and as others have pointed out, it doesn't go without saying. I'll retract my entry if you don't like it, but I maintain that I acted within the rules and spirit of the game.

I take it this comment was meant for me rather than Dorado.
Learn More...
United States
99185 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the problem is that the game has evolved a bit since it began and newer players are rightly focused on recent precedents. With that being said, future hosts should be explicit as to what will and will not count. Nothing should be left to assumption.
Page: of 507 Previous TopicReplies: 7,594 / Views: 363,109Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05