Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7,610 / Views: 364,769Next Topic
Page: of 508
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2513 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really, because I do not collect American coins, and have no clue about 1830s half dollars as I am solely into British and Empire coins.

Also my rules are water tight. Maybe "Newer players" as you put it should be respected, I started playing about a year ago and nearly every round I do is greeted by controversy and gripes.

All this fooforaw over one point. It is very immature and part of the reason I am leaving this part of the thread and considering completely leaving CCF as JBuck you are not the person I thought you were - getting petty over one point.

Contest over Arkie wins and I resign in disgust.

This is stupid and I want no part of it.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/22/2021 9:02 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17320 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17320 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Contest over Arkie wins and I resign in disgust.

Good luck! Tane McManus

Congratulations Arkie ,the floor is yours!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11567 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  03:26 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well...congrats Arkie!
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3176 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Arkie
Pillar of the Community
United States
2387 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies. Life got in the way. Hold my birr and watch this:

Ethiopian Birr.

Post your oldest African coin not issued by a European or Islamic colonizer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
811 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zimbabwe 1991

Pillar of the Community
United States
4884 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some Zairian coins from 1987 and quite possibly some older ones, but I unfortunately don't have any pictures.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11567 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the oldest I have pics of, but will do a little more searching:

1937 Liberia Half Cent

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17320 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1936 Ethiopia.
1 Santeem - Haile Selassie I

Learn More...
United States
99535 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All this fooforaw over one point. It is very immature and part of the reason I am leaving this part of the thread and considering completely leaving CCF as JBuck you are not the person I thought you were - getting petty over one point.
Really?

I said I was not going to quibble over it.

My goal was to educate you on the American coins, to return the favour after everything you have taught me about what you collect.

Gee, if that is how you really feel, fine.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2513 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is crazy, I just got angry as you gave me a choice of whether that coin was worth 4 or 5 points and I decided 4, but you got all huffy over it.

You should have been direct and just said, its worth 5 points when you posted it and I would have let it slide.

I decided to quit as every challenge I put up has one or more people attacking my rules, questioning them or asking me inane questions, so I decided to remove myself from the situation.

Does not mean we have to act differently on the boards anywhere else. I mean I appreciate all the positivity and encouragement you give us all everywhere else.

Here we need to agree to disagree and move on.

PS" People don't call me by my proper name, you guys aren't my Mother. Part of the reason why we all have creative user names.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3176 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PS" People don't call me by my proper name, you guys aren't my Mother. Part of the reason why we all have creative user names.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6065 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me, checking in on this thread after a few weeks:

Anyway, this is the earliest non-colonial African coin I can offer

Axumite Kingdom (Modern day coastal Eritrea and Ethiopia)
Aphilas, with Ousanas
Gilt silver unit (12mm, 0.7g)
Struck early 4th century AD, prior to 320 AD

Sadly, much of Axum is known only from secondhand sources, as their primary sources did not survive (if any existed in the first place.) No exact dates are known with certainty, but Aphilas is believed to be the second Axumite king to issue coins, likely somewhere in the 300-310 timeframe.

Sadly, I don't have any Carthaginian or Numidian coins, which are even older and come from the African coast on the Mediterranean.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3465 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...I expected someone to post a coin from Axum, but hadn't realized that Carthage would have also qualified. Numidia and Mauretania ditto, but they're both later and rarer than Carthage, I think.
OTOH, a lot of the Carthaginian coin issues are from their Spanish colonies rather than the mainland.
Persian Egypt issues are the oldest coins that would qualify, I believe, though all of those types are extremely rare.

None of the above in my collection, anyway... I think I might have a Roman provincial from someplace in North Africa, and also a coin attributed to the Vandals of Carthage, but both of those are European colonizers. The inclusion of "Islamic" restricts my options further.
I'll have to check more precisely, but it will probably be either a 20th century coin or something from Liberia (USA is technically not European).
Page: of 508 Previous TopicReplies: 7,610 / Views: 364,769Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05