Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7,687 / Views: 371,098Next Topic
Page: of 513
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I officially declare bd251 the winner!

Quote:
Here is a late entry but the winners date was closer...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the local club will be reopening soon with an open mic night on the schedule. I guess I can practice my tight five on you all while we wait for BD...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11732 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
811 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Post your largest, thinnest coin

This round will be scored by the ratio of the diameter(mm) to the weight (g) of the coin. The challenge coin would score 20.0mm/1.25g=16.0. A higher score is better. The reason for scoring this way rather than actual thicknesses is because I anticipate entries of more crudely made coins which may not have thicknesses listed in any catalog, and I know not everyone has a set of calipers.

Some rules:
- The coin must be metal.
- No aluminum coins
- Use the actual diameter and weight if possible. You can use the longest dimension if the coin is not perfectly round
- Alternatively, you can use the weight and diameter for the type, listed by a credible source

Round ends at noon forum time on May 14. If I'm not able to close the round around that time, the winner should proceed with the next round. Sorry for the delay everyone
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17658 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Country Austria (Fantasy issues)
Type Fantasy items › Fantasy currency
Year 1963
Value 2 Ducats (2)
Currency Austria
Composition Silver (.835)
Weight 6.5 g
Size 28 mm
Thickness 1.1 mm
Shape Round

Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Livonia, 1653 solidus.
Diameter: 15.5 mm
Mass: 0.509 g

Score: 30.5

Just FYI, this scoring system is heavily skewed in favor of small coins since the mass should be proportional to the cube of the diameter as long as shape is preserved.

If the score were adjusted to more fairly reflect thinness vs. volume, this would be my highest-scoring coin:

Flanders, leeuwengroot, 1354-1359.
Diameter: 26.6 mm
Mass: 2.332 g

(d^3)/m: 8070

By comparison, the Livonian coin would only score 7320 by this method, while the Flemish coin only scores 11.4 points by your method.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3479 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bishopric of Salzburg
Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg
1 pfennig, 1521

Numista says it's 16 mm and 0.29 grams, which would mean a score of 16/0.29 = 55 points.

I have larger and/or thinner coins (Prague groschens come to mind...), but they would score a lot lower.
The only coin I have (that I can think of offhand) that might realistically score higher is the 30x9 mm Olbia dolphin, which I hadn't weighed (and the weights vary so much for that series that a standard is useless).

Effectively your system is measuring (lowest) thickness multiplied by diameter [times metal density], when you were presumably looking for thickness divided by diameter [for which you indeed need @Numisma's system].
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17658 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Round ends at noon forum time on May 14. If I'm not able to close the round around that time, the winner should proceed with the next round.
Just under three hours.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the winner should proceed with the next round.
Numisma
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since bd251 never commented on scoring, I assume the original system is still in effect. It looks like january1may wins handily either way, though.

Page: of 513 Previous TopicReplies: 7,687 / Views: 371,098Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05