Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet another forum game - Numismatic Go Fish!  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 142
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3644 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations january1may
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2434 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the last challenge, we were looking for fairly recent undated coins.
Now, we're going the opposite way - this one is about old dated ones!

(For the record, I decided the theme I would use for my next challenge well before the last one started. It was a coincidence.)

The coin above is an AE unit of Antiochos VII Euergetes, who ruled the Seleukid Empire in 138-129 BC.

If you squint a bit, you might be able to see three letters at the bottom: ΔΟΡ. (They're somewhat clearer in hand, but I suck at photography.)

Those letters? That's the date. It translates to 174 in the Seleukid calendar; in the modern calendar, that's 139/8 BC.

Since this type belongs to Antiochos VII, who, as far as I can tell, wasn't reigning yet in 139 BC, this particular coin must have been made in the year 138 BC.

This is currently the oldest dated coin in my collection.
I'm now encouraging you to post yours.

Points for this round:

9 points: a dated coin from the same year as mine (138 BC)
8 points: ...from within 10 years (148 BC to 128 BC)
7 points: within 50 years (188 BC to 88 BC)
6 points: within 137 years (275 BC to 1 BC)
5 points: within 250 years (488 BC to 113 AD)
4 points: within 500 years (up to 363 AD)
3 points: within 1000 years (up to 863 AD)
2 points: within 1500 years (up to 1363 AD)
1 point: within 2000 years (up to 1863 AD)

2.5 point bonus: too old for 6 points (276 BC or older)
1.75 point extra bonus (stacks with above): too old even for 5 points (489 BC or older)

0.2 point mini-bonus: older than mine (139 BC or older)
0.25 point disambiguation bonus: full match to mine (same type, same date)
0.5 point consolation prize: 1864 AD or later, but still your oldest dated coin

Tiebreaker: whichever coin's date is closer to 138 BC (and by posting time, as usual, if there's still a tie).

Note: coins can be dated in any calendar (even a regnal one), but the corresponding modern date needs to be given as well; and known single-year types also count even if they don't technically have a date (so the coin of the previous challenge would have gotten 1 point, assuming that it was truly limited to 1847 AD).

Coins that cannot be dated to a single year and/or 12-month (or smaller) period at all don't get any points, however.
(I'm willing to admit frozen dates for the moment, though; but they are complicated, and I'd probably need to rule on each example separately - assuming there are any.)

Mild clarification: the double-year dates round in favor of more points. So 149/8 BC and 128/7 BC would both get 8 points.

However, if the coin qualifies for 6 points, it doesn't qualify for the "too old for 6 points" bonus (and similarly for 5 points).

Similarly, a coin that qualifies for 1 point doesn't qualify for the consolation bonus (so in the unlikely case than your oldest dated coin is from 1863/4 AD, you still only get 1 point and not 1.5 points).

And yes, technically this would mean that a 138/7 BC coin from the same series as mine would get the full 9 points. Thus the disambiguation bonus. (Note: I highly suspect that it won't come up. But why not.)

And just for the record - no, I don't really expect anyone on CCF to actually have any of the dated coins from 489 BC or older.
Would certainly be nice though!

(And, um, sorry for the overly complicated rules again?)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't have to look far for my entry. Here is my oldest dated coin Sweden 1 ore 1737.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8490 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Can you PROVE mine wasn't made in 138BC?

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2434 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you PROVE mine wasn't made in 138BC?
I did mention that undated coins that cannot be dated to any particular year don't get any points.

Nice coin, however.
Learn More...
United States
56944 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7324 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my oldest coin that can be dated to a single year, but I think that this one yields the most points according to @j1m's rules: a Denarius of the Roman Republic that dates to 137 BC. The obv reads "X TAMPIL" and the rev reads "ROIMA M BAEBI QF". It is attributed as Crawford 236/1d.

"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2434 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not my oldest coin that can be dated to a single year, but I think that this one yields the most points according to @j1m's rules
A coin from between 148 BC and 139 BC would get (slightly) more points. So would a coin from before 276 BC (or, at least, this was supposed to be the case; I apparently miscounted).

If you don't have any dateable coins from either of those ranges, then yes, this is probably your best opportunity.

EDIT: if I did miscount, can I fix it? [Or, for that matter, should I fix it?] I don't think it mattered for any standings so far.
Edited by january1may
02/12/2018 7:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My closest dateable coin:

Roman Republic, denarius, P. Cornelius Sulla (151BC):

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11912 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically, this one is not my oldest that can be narrowed down to a single date, but I will go with this Hungarian 1 denár piece from 1462:

-----

According to Numista, my oldest is some Roman coin from 347. I do not have any pictures of it, but I am running low on staples. So... I am not going to take that one out of its holder.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7019 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:45 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured Spence and Pepactonius would come up with some nice ones this round! Now, what will Finn post?

I have a couple of non-winning possible entries. Here's the only one I currently have bad pics of:

1661 dated Polish-Lithuanian Szelag

The other is a Constantine commemorative that I have yet to image. Maybe tomorrow!
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1948 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my oldest coin that can be narrowed down to a certain year.

Marcus Aurelius as Augustus. 161-180 AD. AR Denarius
Minted in Rome in 162 AD

Obverse: IMP M AVREL ANTONINVS AVG, bare head facing right
Reverse: CONCORD AVG TR P XVI Concordia seated left holding a patera, cornucopia under seat, with COS III below.

The TR P XVI on the reverse puts the date as 162 AD. The second year as his reign as Augustus.

I am very new to ancient coins, so hopefully Finn can back me up on this one.

Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  06:11 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I’ll find my oldest coin. Pretty sure it’s a counterstamp.
Going to be eating lots of popcorn this round.

Some really cool entries so far.

Edit: Added picture

1820 Liberty Head Counterstamped J.C. (my initials)

http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
02/13/2018 06:59 am
Learn More...
United States
56944 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1820 Liberty Head Counterstamped J.C. (my initials)
Looks a little beat, but the counterstamp saves it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3644 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Denar 1536 K-B, Ferdinand I (1526- 1564)
Holy Roman Empire.

Page: of 142 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05