Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 Reale Lima 1753 Some Comments Re- Authenticity Please

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,943Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another one to check out. Has damage from filled chop marks but weight is good and edge is good.
Similar odd H-I lineup as the original post but with the normal mintmark with the bar in the bottom right of the "M".
Mine has sat in my safe since 1989, the filled chopmarks were not visible when I bought it but the coin began to tone oddly about 10 years after purchase and the problems became obvious.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Romania
3 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientiques to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys, I come on this forum and topic while trying to educate myself about the correct edge pattern for the Colonial 8 Reales as I bought a lot in good faith in the beginning and now when I need to sell them I cannot sell fakes. Could one of the members photo the edge of a surely authentic piece from that year? I attach the pics of my coin and edge pattern asking if there are different tulips in different years considering I met at least 2 different models and logically one should be fake... Thank you in advance for your support. Only experts are invited to reply or at least people owning this 1753 Lima 8 Reales in good original state. I am unabkle to upload the relevant pics of my coin's edge after many many tries, I apologies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5119 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ancientiques Hello and

Unfortunately, without photos of the edge it is impossible to assess your coin.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Learn More...
United States
19186 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ancient, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties with uploading pics. It does take a little getting used to, although it seems like oftentimes it is due to the pics being too large. Here is a link to the tutorial:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp

I look forward to seeing what you have, although I will be a lurker as this isn't my area of expertise.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Romania
3 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientiques to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
99407 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5119 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ancientiques The pictures are perfect for authentication.

Unfortunately, the coin is without any doubt what so ever a Numismatic Forgery made sometime in the last 50 years using very modern methods.

In my opinion the coin is a Centrifugal Casting which was edged post creation using an incorrect Lotus design.

There are clear grinding marks on the edge which are simply incorrect.

There is a very interesting break (Mold fracture) visible on the left side of the obverse.

I believe the coin is worth melt value of the metal plus a small amount ($5 to $15 US) as a modern collectable replica.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Romania
3 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientiques to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your knowledgeable opinion, however, I just realised that all the fake columnarios I saw even in international auctions have a very clear sign of forgery...the pillars crowns are identical not different as it should be in an original one. Am I on something?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5119 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ancientiques The column capitals are a subject by themselves. In Lima in 1753 the Capitals were nearly if not exactly identical. At other mints and dates the variation can be quite drastic.

Many Modern Forgers are using actual genuine coins to create their dies and molds. In this case I believe that is what happened for both coin faces. The edge dies were not accurately copied and neither were the borders.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,943Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05