Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Seated Half for Grade

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  5:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I just got this one back from being graded and was wondering your thoughts on it. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
5985 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UNC details cleaned. Looks overdipped. Obverse hairlines indicate it has been wiped.

This is a 59-S.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The halo effect is so evident on this coin that I'm saving a photo to show what the halo effect looks like.

Unc. details, cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6961 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate seeing coins that someone just had to make look "better" - unfortunately like everyone else stated - UNC Details, cleaned.
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Now working on the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs.
23pcs, of 28, so far

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14763 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-details, cleaned
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had this coin posted on the "US Classic and Colonial Variety and Error Coins" a while ago because it had a problem. I sent the coin to NCS to see what they could do. The first two images are of the original state before I sent it in.

I got the coin back the first time and was very surprised and disappointed at what they sent me back. This is the coin after the first try.

The first two images in the post are what the coin now looks like after the second try from NCS. Which set do you like better?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5985 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the coin before it was submitted to NCS. Looks like the coin was darkly toned but had great luster before "restoration."

Looks like there was some dark substance in certain areas (obv left elbow, rev lettering, shield and arrow tips) that were discolored when removed.

They should be sued [don't do that - it isn't cost effective and they are likely legally protected in their terms] for coin restoration malpractice. Is it in a genuine restored holder?

I suppose that there is no way to know ex ante how any restoration is going to turn out. I wouldn't consider overdipping the coin an appropriate course of restoration. Looks like all luster was stripped after the first course.

I feel your pain OP. I would feel extremely upset at this result, especially after paying for two courses of restoration. If you don't mind sharing, what did NCS charge for their services?
Edited by numismatic student
08/18/2017 7:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am crying my eyes out for you. I'd have a sick gut with that return.

Shame. Real shame. I suppose it's so tough to know what a restore will do, but you'd think since they at least pretend professionalism that they'd have had an idea that it would turn out so washed up.

What did it grade? I sure hope you don't tell me it straight graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8785 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That first conservation was rough. The second one probably resulted in a MS62. It ended up market-acceptable with a slight downgrade, these days it's acceptable anyway.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
5985 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An MS62 1859-S half dollar sells between $2,000-$2,500. An UNC details cleaned coin of the same date/MM sells for $400. BH are you sure that thia would straight grade? There is almost a $2K difference based on that determination.

I would argue that it was an MS coin before restoration and a details coin after. NCS, in my opinion, stripped $2K in value as a result of their services. Unfortunately, it would probably cost more than $2K to litigate and likely not prevail in trying to get some resolution as the contract signed for restoration likely precludes damages.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moxking, I agree and thought that they would have called to discuss before they did anything. I will share the grade soon as I want to give it some time.
Numismticstudent, I was refunded all of my money for the submissions because they realized the issues. I found out that the first submission was "restored" by a new employee. The second was done by the head of conservation. I don't think I will ever use NCS ever again. This was my first and last time to try them.
Edited by Heymikep
08/18/2017 9:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6961 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think I will ever use NCS ever again. This was my first and last time to try them.

Yeah, no kidding. That's not really good advertising to show their restoring abilities.
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Now working on the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs.
23pcs, of 28, so far

Pillar of the Community
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So much for EVER trying restoration. At least they reimbursed you. I would dig a little deeper out of curiosity. Did they ever say what chemicals they used?

Side note: The after pic looks like 90% of the Seated dollars that were up for auction at the ANA show.

Au-58 here and I bet it graded straight.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11919 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58, and I would think Details. That poor coin...
Pillar of the Community
United States
8785 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  07:05 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BH are you sure that thia would straight grade? There is almost a $2K difference based on that determination.

I would argue that it was an MS coin before restoration and a details coin after. NCS, in my opinion, stripped $2K in value as a result of their services.

No, I'm not sure just guessing that it did. NCS will forward any coin directly to NGC if it will straight grade as received. At least that's what they claim in their literature.

My hunch is they (NCS) said it was Environmentally Damaged as received and went ahead and "processed" it. The final result might not be a $2k coin but maybe a $1k coin? Just my 2 cents.
ANA #R3154474
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05