Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$20 Bill From 1929 From....la Junta?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2017  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add try6975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! My name is Traci and I'm new here. I have a question concerning a 1929 $20 bill from La Junta, CO. Does anybody here know anything about this bill? Any help would be appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2017  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As of 2010, only 11 small size notes are known on this bank.

Here are the Heritage archives on Charter #4507; https://currency.ha.com/c/search-re...&limitTo=all

Edited to add, Welcome to CCF
Edited by SteveInTampa
09/07/2017 2:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10142 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2017  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting note and nice low serial.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2017  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, you don't look like a Traci!

Congrats, super note, great bank name.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2017  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surprised to see how far back this bank goes, with several Brown Backs outstanding.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/07/2017 7:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2017  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi your twenty is what is known as a Series 1929 Type 1 which was the first version of the small size national bank notes. This type was issued by thousands of banks across the United States from Massachusetts to Oregon even by banks in Alaska and Hawaii.

Small size nationals were printed and issued in sheets of 6 six notes. Each sheet contained the same serial number but a different plate positions. This sounds confusing I'm sure so let me explain further with an example

Sheet #1 would consist of the following from top to bottom: A000001A, B 000001A, C000001A, D000001A, E000001A, F000001A

Taking a look at your bill, shows that it was the top note on sheet #106. The bank received this sheet uncut and then cut the notes apart and placed the bills in circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MV - Does this mean, then, that there were originally at least 6 serial #1 notes for each and every national bank, no matter how small?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2017  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the answer is yes, although some banks saved the #1 sheet for display purposes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had not really thought about this. Not sure now many NBs issued small notes (total charters were over 14K but many closed before the small note era), but assuming, say, 10K issuing banks, that would be around 60K serial #1 notes (in theory) for each denomination issued by all banks - let's say $5s and $10s? Zowie.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10142 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2017  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talk about a tough collection to put together...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2017  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not really a NBN collector and didn't understand the numbering sequence on the 6-note sheets. An eye-opener for me. Doh.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5039 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure the OP would just like someone to give a real world 2017 dollars cash money valuation of the note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say on value. There's not a whole lot of online history of previous sales.

If I had to guess, I'd say anywhere from $250-$400.....maybe even more if you get two bidders that really need/want the note.

I'm not sure the OP has been back since the initial thread post.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price range sounds about right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer CoinFrog's question: Yes, for banks that issued Type 1 notes regardless of denomination there were six #1 notes per sheet. However when the switch to Series 1929 Type 2 occurred, there was only one #1 note per sheet.

Here's a Type 2 sheet as an example https://currency.ha.com/itm/nationa...tion-071515#

True some banks saved the #1 sheets these being the $5, $10 or $20 denominations. I think I have mentioned previously that a gentleman wrote to banks to encourage them to order the new small size notes and he'd pay X amount depending on the denomination for the #1 sheets of $5's, $10's and/or $20's. Meanwhile, he had convinced Col. Green (of coin buying fame) to collect sheets of serial number 1 nationals. He then turned around and sold the sheets he bought to Green at a hefty profit.

Sheets of serial #1 Type 1 $50's and $100's were not on the buy list as the cost per sheet was likely more than Green would have been willing to spend.

After Green died, his estate wound up depositing several of these sheets for face value at the New York Federal Reserve bank. If I remember correctly, lists of the bank and denominations were sent to the Federal Reserve district where the bank was located to see if anyone was interested in buying them. Ultimately, the unsold sheets were then returned and destroyed.

-MV
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MV - Thanks for the link and the additional input. I was quite honestly unaware of the numbering system on Type 1 notes until this thread!
Edited by Coinfrog
09/11/2017 4:33 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05