Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS will now attribute Cameo and Deep Cameo on PL and SP strikes  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
7162 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  12:28 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.PCGS.com/news/PCGS-to-r...dian-strikes

This is a big deal (at least for me). Perhaps now they will stop calling gem deep cameo specimen strikes as "Proof". I doubt this will have any impact on grade bonuses for the registry sets, as eye appeal is already factored into the grade. Still, there are many of us who love the early PL and SP cameo strikes, and there is real value to those strikes.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4398 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm extremely happy about this! for the longest time it's puzzled me why they don't and has discouraged me from cross grading some of my ICCS UHC pieces as I feared losing the designation..this may be the kick I need to finally send some of my coins to them.

thanks for the good news SPP!!
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4398 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The “Deep Cameo” designation will be reserved for those coins showing “heavy frosting” on the devices on both the obverse and reverse

this may bother some as it will make some very nice pieces ineligible for the proper DCAM designation..I'm not sure about other series but for silver dollars this will be a problem for some issues..for example 1956 UHC dollars as they simply always have a fully brilliant reverse finish, even on the devices..

still though this is a big step in the right direction! and I'm very happy about it.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
938 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So this would ruin any chance of a pl specimen penny or nickel from getting a cameo designation regardless of how frosted the bust is, because there really aren't any reverses that are frosted like a frosted bust obverse.

Why couldn't they just specify THE BUST?

The term cameo in relation to coins is rooted in an oval jewelry cameo. Contrast of the bust to the background.

Cameo definition : a piece of jewelry, typically oval in shape, consisting of a portrait in profile carved in relief on a background of a different color.

These grading companies make me feel like I'm on crazy pills.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the fact that they are finally calling it. But it is also a money grab for those who will resubmit to get the designation.

Gene
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3005 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting change..

"So what might PCGS do with this 5 cent silver..non specimen coin ?"

They probably would not attribute this coin as Cameo or Deep Cameo.

Edited by DEVLEC
09/14/2017 11:18 am
Learn More...
Canada
7162 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But it is also a money grab for those who will resubmit to get the designation.

Fair enough Gene - but look at any auction results with ICCS graded PL and SP strikes with heavy cameo or ultra heavy cameo attributions... the reward is worth the risk, in my opinion....
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
7162 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They probably would not attribute this coin as Cameo or Deep Cameo.

You are correct - because that is a business strike. I imagine PCGS is being consulted by Sandy Campbell on this stuff, and it is my opinion that they will start with baby steps with the SP and PL strikes from the early 1950s to the early 1970s...

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05