Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marcus Ambibulus & Valerius Gratus  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
20030 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  7:18 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Marcus Ambibulus, was the Roman governor of Judea from 9-12 AD, he replaced the first governor Coponius when he was recalled to Rome by Augustus. Not much is known about his administration.

AE Prutah (Lepton)
Obverse: Ear of grain, Greek legend: KAICA POC ("Of Caesar")
date circa YR 40= 9-10 AD
Reverse: Eight branched palm tree with two Date clusters.
18mm x 2.28g x 11h
Hendin 1330

Valerius Gratus, Roman governor of Judea under Tiberius from 15-26 AD. Gratus replaced Annius Rufus and he was replaced by Pontius Pilate. Not much is know about his administration.

AE Prutah (Lepton)
Obverse. Greek legend enclosed in a wreath. TIB KAI CAP ("Tiberius Caesar")
Reverse: Palm branch with Greek legend IOY LIA ("Julia") the name of Tiberius's mother.
16mm x 2.17g x 12h
Hendin 1338

Pillar of the Community
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the hard patination. I'm certainly enjoying my continuing education with your tutorials.
Valued Member
Spain
342 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thaks for sharing Ron
Learn More...
United States
20030 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I have several more to post in the next day or so.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
765 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. The more I see of these coins the more I would like to collect some of these Judean coins.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3878 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have several more to post in the next day or so.

Ok very cool. Any chance of posting something from the 1st revolt of the Jews? I can contribute to that thread...
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Learn More...
United States
20030 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, I wish I could. I have been able to find any I can afford yet. I think once I complete the Parthian coins I'm buying I will work on 2, 4, and 8 prutah along with the more pricey revolt issues. Would love to have a Shekel but that is well out of my price range.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3878 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah ok yep they can be spendy. Fortunately, I got my a thousand years ago. I'll try to post mine in the next few days to keep up with your ongoing Judaica-themed posts.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Learn More...
United States
20030 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to seeing it. I do have a Tyre Shekel of Demetrious II that was most likely used for the annual Temple tax. This tax was only accepted using silver half and full Tyre shekels. It's been posted here a few times.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05