Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Understanding A Seller

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,893Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  11:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anybody shed any light on this? No carping please, just helpful opinion.

Has anyone here ever tried to negotiate a price ("bargain") with a seller in France who goes by the name "Numiscorner" on V-coins or "cdma59" on eBay? On eBay he leaves the "Make Offer" open, but I have not found him willing to vary much from his listed price. In his completed sales, very few are for ancients, but of the few I saw, (5 out of 1100) most were sold for less than the original price, though how much less I cannot say. His listed price on Vcoins seems to be the lower limit he will allow on eBay. He does not reply to the emails I send, so I wonder if language is the issue. I am just trying to determine if it is worth the time to even try to negotiate a price, or just ignore that avenue altogether.

Sellers are all over the map on this topic, and all I can do is inquire. Even that seems to be too much for some.

Your experiences?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2550 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought banknotes from him on V-coins. Free shipping which wasn't particularly fast but got here. Grading seemed slightly less harsh than some of our English dealers but I was happy enough with value for money even non-negotiated. I see some other items (not French) that I was interested in but not at the price offered but I didn't make any offers...if I do I would take the trouble to do so very formally in French.

Along with the package was a 5% off flyer for purchases made directly through his website.

Good luck ^^
Edited by DavidUK
09/27/2017 12:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2285 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought from him and tried to negotiate the price down he came down 5 euros on a 70 euro coin and as far as my communication went he writes perfect English.

Slow delivery coin was fine..cold transaction.

Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may just be a time constraint issue. My gosh over 115,000 listings on eBay?

I know there is an auto reject offer function if the offer price isn't within a specified range from the BIN price. However, I would imagine you would still get a notification from the seller.
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses guys. They help provide perspective and a wider range of experience.

The seller operates 7 coin stores in France, mostly for material of many types that is not ancient. Yet for that they must have a fair amount of staff available to do that and take care of the online traffic. As I had observed above, for the eBay portion only a small part of the sales are of ancients, and I suspect without checking that it is the same for the balance of material offered. However, somebody in the company seems to have a rather deep understanding of Roman coinage at least, and they seem to turn up interesting stuff. But I have never had any success with communication, nor with discounting despite the fact that they leave open the Make Offer option. The easiest course for me is to say they don't take offers and not attempt to make one. Too bad, but it is their ball.

I had made an offer and they countered with an offer that was only 3 dollars different from the normal price on their Vcoins offer for a roughly 200 dollar coin. Perhaps its just me, but it that does not seem very inviting for a potentially regular buyer. Their call, but it would be nice to have it said and not leave me guessing.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have not dealt with the seller but I will say the french have a real chip on their shoulder when it comes to not talking to them in French. Half the time you go to a website that is important for french news and no English at all link but English sites often have all kinds of languages available to click into. And they have a lot of conferences where they talk about how sad it is their language is not spoken all over the place anymore like they are only losing ground. It is probably all a misunderstanding on our non french opinions really. They may be trying to be really nice and we just don't understand them very well sadly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2017  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought a few things from him. Mostly world silver. However I have not ever tried to haggle with him. He seems like a pretty reliable seller though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1226 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand this seller operates from France?
I saw some gold coins I am interested in on their website (numiscorner.com), but not sure how it works with shipping coins from France to the USA. Will there be any customs issues?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4757 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than some unusual delays due to the pandemic, I have never had a customs issue with anything numismatic entering the U.S. from any foreign country.
Including France (though I have bought infrequently from French sellers)

Edit: I will be interested to hear what they charge for shipping. A number of European sellers I deal with decided to go to DHL and FedEx as their only option for shipping to the U.S. when our postal system unravelled last year. They charge in the ballpark of $50, but if you are ordering multiple gold items, maybe not a big issue for amortizing shipping costs.
Edited by tdziemia
05/05/2021 08:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last time I checked (maybe a year ago), this dealer had more listings on VCoins than all the other firms combined!
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Quite a selection. Too bad he's overpriced, especially when considering the exchange rate and shipping fees.
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently bought a couple coins from them. I made offers on 4 coins on a Friday and there was no response. I tried again on two of them again the following Monday and they countered at about in the middle on one, but declined on the other. The one they did counter on resulted in a discount of maybe $4-5 on a $55 coin. They had it shipped within a couple days and I received via USPS maybe 10 days later. Well packaged in a nice branded folder. Coins were well enough photographed for what they were. I was happy with the buy.

I am familiar with their listings across eBay, ma-shops, vcoins, their own website. It might be a larger operation than just a little LCS. Obviously a massive inventory that's been indexed. I don't think their prices always align, so maybe check all the platforms and see if one of them has the deal you need. There have been a few items I've had interest in over the years but were too pricey IMO to the point that I haven't bothered making an offer. One that comes to mind has been listed now for around 5 years. I'm not sure how much they review pricing on non-moving inventory. Lol.

After my order, I did receive a message from a William Haennig, introducing himself as my "englich-speaking contact" stating, "for a possible future order, I propose you to use my exclusive VIP service (100% free)... Before placing your order, email me to the following address: william.haennig@numiscorner.com." I contacted him with a question about my order, and he responded in German, so I had to use my trusty Google Translator. But we figured it out.

If I was to stereotype, I felt similar with other European dealers in that they set a price and stick to it. Basically take it or leave it, and doing the dance isn't really their thing. But it's not just this seller that leaves this vive.

But they provide legit service, if not overly friendly, and a browsing selection that can't be beat. Maybe you'll find something to pull a trigger on, took me over 5 years for my first order.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Edited by Collects82
05/05/2021 11:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1226 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding shipping, it seems to be free for orders over EURO 150,-.
United Kingdom
22 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add richtea to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a Celtic point of view, their coins are generally of good quality, and the specific types I know well are genuine. In that respect it seems to be a trustworthy company/dealer.

However the prices are very inflated compared to even the fancier UK dealers. Hence I've never been tempted.

On the translation front, Google Translate will give you good enough French output to break down the language barrier. You can always translate any French reply too, of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
871 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how they do it, but I bought this Tetricus II for about $15.00USD and yes FREE Shipping.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collect82;

When you say,

"If I was to stereotype, I felt similar with other European dealers in that they set a price and stick to it. Basically take it or leave it..."

perhaps someone should tell them to look up what using a "make offer" button means. Unless they enjoy being annoyed and annoying buyers dealing with offers they just never were interested in entertaining in the first place.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
05/06/2021 8:04 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,893Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05