Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sassanian governor of Merv - "Ardashir" (8/19)  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3708 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  3:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
8/19

Another one I had never even heard of; would have been a real challenge to attribute had I not matched it to an old tag.

Sassanian governor/king of Merv, "Ardashir" c.240-262
AE "drachm" 17mm / 3.03g
Bearded, Diademed bust right, hair in bun behind head
Figure of (Ardashir?) On horse, holding diadem, ribbons behind.
Loginov & Nikitin 1 158; Alram 1218A

Tag referenced this old CNG listing:
https://www.cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=315526
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Learn More...
United States
20131 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin, here is one of my Kushanshah coins of him.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3708 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super example, Ron. It does however beg the question whether these two are in fact the same person - the Sassanians (and the Parthians before) were big on using headgear, hair, and ornamentation to differentiate between rulers. My Ardashir has a Diademed head, while yours wears a crown. Whoever wrote the description on the handful of Merv coins I was able to find online seems to think that this was a separate person who never ruled outside of Merv.
Learn More...
United States
20131 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that the Sasanian Ardashir and the Kushanshah Ardashir where the same person where different crowns. So given that the dates or rule are the same your Ardashir is also the same.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4057 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to compare the details of the two coins. I think that the nose looks quite similar on both busts.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Learn More...
United States
20131 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sasanian Drachm of Ardashir I, not my coin. Wish I had one of these. For comparison to the other two.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3708 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this will come up correctly, but this author mentions three Ardashirs in the early Sassanian period, Ardashir I, founder of the empire; Ardashir, king of Merv; and Ardashir "king of the sakas". Kushans were believed to be the overlords of the Western Satraps, so perhaps that is the interpretation of that title. At any rate, Ardashir I died in 242, so he must be distinct from the other two who ruled until about 260.

https://books.google.com/books?id=M...merv&f=false

Oh, and since we brought up the OG Ardashir:

Edited by Finn235
10/12/2017 10:34 am
Learn More...
United States
20131 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I can not confirm that he was the ruler of Merv, I do know from the various written sources that he was the also the Kushano Ardashir depicted on those coins.

Steve is that Ardashir coin yours? It's a beauty and very high on my wife list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3708 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, I bought that one about a year ago. One of my favorite coins in my collection, and easily my favorite Sassanian.
Learn More...
United States
20131 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be my favorite Sasanian also. I have a limited monthly coin budget so one of these is still just on my wish list.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05