Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972-D LMC DDR-001 is this one as rare as I think it is?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  7:33 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been trying to find any information on rarity/value of my 1972-D DDR-001. It is an unusual DDR (crooked bit above Lincoln's head) and would seem rather collectible. But I can't find any record of examples other than VV, Wexler's site, and the CONECA master list which notes an XF-45 example which is unusually low grade for a master list coin. Only seems known in Stage B.

Would be interested in learning more about this variety if anyone has more info.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2818 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice one to find, especially in that condition!

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...2DDDR001.htm

Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! Great condition too!

Not much info about it out there, so probably a rarer variety but there's not much interest in it.

My guess is that it could sell in the $10-$25 range to the right buyer. (That's just my estimate, take it with a grain of salt)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24981 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coppercoins list one that is similar, but not considered as a doubled die:
http://www.coppercoins.com/Lincoln/...ie_state=mds

Quote:

2004P-1DR-003
| UNKNOWN (MDS)
CONECA: UNKNOWN | Crawford:UNKNOWN
Wexler: UNKNOWN | FS#:UNKNOWN
coin photographed is credited to Bob Piazza.
THIS LISTING IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. What appears to be an extra column top appears at the top right area of memorial bay #6. This anomaly does not duplicate any area of the memorial that can be determined. It may in fact be a die chip, dent or gouge. It may be listed by other attributers, but at this time, my opinion is that it is definitely NOT a doubled die.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4124 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a thought, but that one flamed out once I put the correct overlays together. There is a slight design change in the reverses of the 2004 example in coops post and VV's. Thought of a rotated reverse die clash, but there simply is no design on the old style that rotates into the OP's position in Bay 6. Could see a possibility on a Zincoln, but that's probably too far out of the box... has to be a random die chip or die ding at that high point on the die, not a hub doubled event, nothing matches in a 360 deg turn of overlay.

FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4124 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me addend the previous. Only one possibility exists for either a Hub Doubled rotation OR a rotated die clash. Both would require a 90 degree CCW shifting to place the upper center portion of column 8 left in the vicinity of this marking. look at this layout:

All I see on USA is MD
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the input! I certainly don't understand how this is a doubled die, but since both CONECA and Mr. Wexler list it I just have to go with it as a DDR. You who know more about such things are welcome to debate the cause, as I am always looking to learn more about such things. And here is a close up of the area in question in case it is useful.

Yes, anything else you think you might see on the coin that looks like doubling is MD. But this is apparently the stage-C version, after giving a closer look at all the available photos. It has the clear die clash to the left of the shoulder and below/left of the 1 in the date.

For background, I pulled this coin from a 1972-D OBW roll so it is UNC with more bag marks than I would consider reasonable, but all the coins in the roll were pretty darn similar in condition.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1882 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's still a Doubled Die. Everybody, like tropicalbats said, go ahead and debate on this.
Errors And Varietys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05