Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1589 Lion Thaler coin  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Austria
1943 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Its been a while sonce I picked anything up. This was my most recent aquisition( arrived this week) I am trying to find a example much closer to 1575.

the above image was severely compressed for posting. Original image can be seen here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...UOEpqTy1DaHM

Don't buy the book before the coin as too often the book is wrong. "Buy" the story then the coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10593 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice original example. I've been tempted by one of these at coin shows many times.

I congratulate you for your excellent selection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1464 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you attach 2 images, one obverse and one reverse, it would not need as much compression.
Pillar of the Community
Austria
1943 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you attach 2 images, one obverse and one reverse, it would not need as much compression. Each separate image uncompressed is around 32mb ( as a Jpeg) The original Tiff is 128mb ( each side)
Don't buy the book before the coin as too often the book is wrong. "Buy" the story then the coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1425 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 1576. The last two digits of the date are sort of hard to read.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
much closer to 1575

1576 is actually a rather plentiful date... and I believe that was the first date that appears on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
austrokiwi, why the focus on the date? For me, I am most concerned with a full strike (or as full as possible for these hand hammered coins). Here's mine:

Pillar of the Community
Austria
1943 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins in my collection tell a story. I want the earliest possible date ( I believe with out checking 1575 was the first date this coin was struck) of striking of one of the international significant Dutch Lion Thaler ( I have read enough tantalizing but fragmentary evidence) to believe the first Thaler to be called "Lion Thaler" was the Joachimsthal strike
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1168 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the best of my knowledge, the first mint year of this type is 1575.

Two more 1576 pieces posted.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2017  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RE: the 1575 date:

Made me check this out... I had never seen (didn't know about) the "early" style apparently used for 1575 and part of 1576. Having a hard time even finding a pic of a clear 1575-dated one (though I see several of that style dated 76):

http://goccf.com/t/134885#1200713
http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/H...der_Dav-8837

This one on eBay now claims to be 1575, idea being that what's visible of the last digit has to be 5 not 6. I guess I agree...:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1575-Nether...202076514514
Edited by realeswatcher
10/17/2017 6:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coins all. Here is my 1616 Lion daalder. It is graded VF-35 but I think it is lot sharper than most of the higher grade daalders I have seen.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4661 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
very nice coins all.

I agree! These are really great large silver coins.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05