Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 World War I Centennial Silver Medals  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Learn More...
United States
57780 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Medal sets are $99.95.
Five hundred dollars to get all five medals? Sure you also get five of the dollars, but then you have to get rid of four of them and everyone else will be doing the same.

I really wish they would offer a five medal set.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10427 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Five hundred dollars to get all five medals? Sure you also get five of the dollars, but then you have to get rid of four of them and everyone else will be doing the same.

I really wish they would offer a five medal set.

I really wish they did too since I want the medals a lot more than the coin. Since they didn’t though keep an eye on eBay when they’re out. I’d imagine someone will be selling a medal set that should end up being cheaper than the five coins.

Since ti believe the medals can be ordered in any quantity there is a chance though one or two might have real low mintages like the coast guard. I’d be surprised if Army and Navy didn’t high the highest pops
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2017  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint says there is a 30 day window but it doesn't say anything about a limit unless I missed that
Learn More...
United States
57780 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since they didn’t though keep an eye on eBay when they’re out. I’d imagine someone will be selling a medal set that should end up being cheaper than the five coins.
Maybe, but we still have to deal with the four (or five) unwanted dollars that come with them.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2017  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's generally assumed each medal will be minted at 20,000 as there is an allotment of 100,000 coins to be paired. With 5 medals that would make 20,000. That being said, if they quickly go through the 100,000 allotted who knows if the mint would change that figure.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2018  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These sets are limited to 100,000 units across all five medal product options, and can be ordered only between noon ET on January 17, 2018, and 3 p.m. ET on February 20, 2018, unless the limit is reached prior to that date.

Production will be based on the orders received within this window.

Fulfillment of these sets will begin in late May 2018.

Buy in January, get them in May...Interesting...Maybe they really haven't minted these medals and the final numbers for each medal will not be 20,000 for each one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10427 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It won’t be an even split of the limit, it’s going to be based off of what’s ordered. There will likely be a pretty good gap from the highest and lowest.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2018  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking of getting the coast guard one, I like the design the most and it will probably have the least amount of interest. It will likely have the lowest mintage.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These sets are limited to 100,000 units across all five medal product options, and can be ordered only between noon ET on January 17, 2018, and 3 p.m. ET on February 20, 2018, unless the limit is reached prior to that date.

Production will be based on the orders received within this window.

Fulfillment of these sets will begin in late May 2018.

Since I'm not interested/ordering any medals, I missed this on the Mint's product pages for the coin/medal pairs.

Looks like the Mint only wants to strike the number of medals that are ordered? Or is there some other reason?

Maybe the Mint is hoping that by delaying the shipment of the coin/medal pairs that the aftermarket won't be flooded with excess coins from folks who wanted a complete set of medals? The coin itself doesn't have this delayed shipping "feature", so maybe they're hoping that folks interested in the coin will purchase it directly from the Mint and not wait for the potential flood in the aftermarket?

The average mintage for the last 7 proof $1 commemoratives has only been around 82,000 (and 5 of the 7 were lower than average). If they actually Mint 100,000 coins to go along with the medals it seems like the mintage of the coins will far exceed recent demand for $1 proof commemoratives.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8347 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the mintage limit of 350k across all options... that means if they sell all 100k medal sets, they will "only" make 250k more individual commemorative proof coins?
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... that means if they sell all 100k medal sets, they will "only" make 250k more individual commemorative proof coins?

No, they couldn't do that. There will be some number of uncirculated silver dollars minted and those count against the total combined authorized mintage of 350,000 as well.

I doubt that the combined mintage across all options will come even close to authorized maximum mintage.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have any of the major online coin dealers shown an interest in buying the five commemorative dollars from collectors who only want the silver medals?

I'd sell the commemorative coins for less than the Mint is charging for them, of course; so if a coin company is wanting a large volume of these WWI commems to send away to be graded, it would seem to be in their interest to buy their supply from medal collectors rather than the US Mint.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen any offers advertised to buy "excess" coins from medal collectors.

I expect that the delayed shipping associated with the medals works against this.

Also, it seems to me that buying in the aftermarket from a medal collector will preclude any First Strike, First Day of Issue, etc. types of labels. These types of labels add a premium for some folks and it seems that volume dealers want those labels.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4137 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit confused here so please help.

If I got it correct there will be five sets ALL of which have the same comm dollar. The only difference is the service medal which is unique to each set. This same dollar is available separately in both PF and UNC versions. BOTH seem to have a mintage limit of 350k "across all options" and the medals in the sets limited to 100k TOTAL (so average 20k each)

So to get one each of all 5 medals it would cost $500 and you would also have 5 dollars that are all the same.

Correct?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8347 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's how I understand it, Foxwoods. Guess we'll see....
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05