Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 World War I Centennial Silver Medals

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As predicted, the Coast Guard medal has the fewest subscribers ... but the difference (so far) seems unlikely to support much of a premium.

I think that the Coast Guard medal obverse is, by far, the best of the lot ... but I don't suspect that difference to support much of a premium, either.

Sold by the set, bought by the set, kept by the set, traded by the set.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, at most there can be 8,910 complete medal sets ordered at this point.

If you figure each of these sets has resulted in 4 extra proof coins being sold, then that's an extra 35,640 coins sold and an extra $356,400 going to the WWI Centennial Commission so far.

If the Mint's strategy was to pair the coins with medals to improve sales of the coin and increase the $ going to the commission, then it looks to me like it's working.
Learn More...
United States
60443 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The numbers from last week and this week suggest, at least to me, that many collectors are buying all five coin-medal sets in order to get one of each medal; the sales figures are advancing by very similar amounts.
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3889 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint's Week Three update for the WWI medal sets sales (as of 2/5/18):

Army: 13,321 (+178)
Navy: 10,608 (-326)
Marines: 10,806 (-124)
Air Service: 10,989 (-18)
Coast Guard: 8,519 (-391)

TOTAL MEDAL SETS SOLD: 54,243 (-681) (~54% of medals available)

Individual Silver Dollar (Proof): 30,325 (+745)
Individual Silver Dollar (Unc): 11,731 (+170)

Total Silver Dollar (Proof): 84,568 (+64)

It looks like the Mint processed a good number of order cancellations over the past week, all of the medal sets - with the exception of the Army set - showed a decline in total net orders vs. last week. Order cancellations outpaced new orders.

With just over two weeks to go before the ordering window for the medal sets is closed (Feb 20th), it appears that the 100,000 unit overall limit for the medals is not going to be challenged. WWI medal "fever" seems to have been cured.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Edited by commems
02/07/2018 09:18 am
Learn More...
United States
60443 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3889 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint's latest update for the WWI medal sets sales (as of 2/12/18):

Army: 14,030 (+709)
Navy: 10,986 (+378)
Marines: 11,455 (+649)
Air Service: 11,323 (+334)
Coast Guard: 9,052 (+533)

TOTAL MEDAL SETS SOLD: 56,846 (+2,603) (~57% of medals available)

Individual Silver Dollar (Proof): 32,641 (+2,316)
Individual Silver Dollar (Unc): 13,855 (+2,124)

Total Silver Dollar (Proof): 89,487 (+4,919)

Positive sales across the board this week - it looks like order cancellations on the sets have settled down.

With just a week to go before the ordering window closes (Tuesday, February 20 @ 3:00pm Eastern) it appears unlikely that the total number of medal sets sold will reach the maximum of 100,000.

There's likely to be a small rush of orders this week, but I don't think it will come close to reaching the 43K sets needed to achieve a sell-out.

Learn More...
United States
60443 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they want a sell-out they need to offer a five medal set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8695 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they want a sell-out they need to offer a five medal set.

Hopefully they have thousands leftover and order up some packaging for just that. Of course, that would probably tick off those who bought individually.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3889 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully they have thousands leftover and order up some packaging for just that.

Remember, none of the medals have been struck yet. They are being produced to order - production will be limited to the number ordered during the 35-day window that expires on February 20th.

I doubt extras will be produced to make five-medal sets.

Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  05:04 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Remember, none of the medals have been struck yet. They are being produced to order - production will be limited to the number ordered during the 35-day window that expires on February 20th.

I doubt extras will be produced to make five-medal sets.

The US Mint knows if they were to offer a five-medal set now, then everyone who ordered the coin sets, and do not want the five silver dollars, will cancel their orders and re-order the five medal set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  07:53 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The US Mint knows if they were to offer a five-medal set now, then everyone who ordered the coin sets, and do not want the five silver dollars, will cancel their orders and re-order the five medal set.

I'm anticipating that some (many?) of those extra proof dollars will show up for sale on eBay for the opportunity to pick one up at a reduced price
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still on the fence about buying the medals in this format. Would have bought a 5 medal set. Guess I have 6 more days to decide.
Learn More...
United States
60443 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
D'oh!
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You only have 6 days to make the decision since the window will close on the 20th and then no more will be sold.

To be honest, I think a lower mintage number might be better for long-term value than if it was an instant sell-out, since the big boys didn't eat it all up to be flooded in the market later.

p.s. Is there a topic that explains how to embed a quote box into your comments? I'm not good at finding things, and would appreciate the direction. Thanks.
Learn More...
United States
60443 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a topic that explains how to embed a quote box into your comments?
How to Quote

If you are using the Quick Reply box...

1. Type [quote]

2. Paste the text you want to quote

3. Then type [/quote]

If you are using the Reply to Topic link...
1. Paste the text you want to quote

2. Highlight it

3. Then press the 'Insert Quote' button:

So this...

[quote]Quoted Text[/quote]

Looks like this...

Quote:
Quoted Text
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05