Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 World War I Centennial Silver Medals

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember, none of the medals have been struck yet. They are being produced to order...

Well, that makes up my mind. IF I'm going to get the medals it will be 2ndary market. For now I'll have to stick to the commems, commems. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last day to order any medals. Ordering closes in less than 4 hours at 3pm EST.

The Mint released the weekly production figures this morning

As of 18 Feb, the totals are:

Proof $1 - 36,730
Unc $1 - 15,108
Army Medal - 15,161 (GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!)
Air Medal - 12,164
Navy Medal - 11,797
Marines Medal - 12,307
Coast Guard Medal - 9,565

Total Medals - 60,994 (+4,148 for the week)
Total Proof $1 - 97,724 (+8,237 for the week)

The proof $1 mintage already surpasses 7 of the last 10 proof $1 commemorative coins, thanks to the medal/coin sets. This marketing tactic by the Mint seems to be a winner. I wonder if we'll see more of it in the future?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This marketing tactic by the Mint seems to be a winner.

A winner for whom?

Quote:
I wonder if we'll see more of it in the future?

I hope not.
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A winner for whom?

Definitely not the collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This marketing tactic by the Mint seems to be a winner.

It's a marketing technique that bumped up the lackluster sales of recent commemorative proof dollars.

It also created and sold collector medals that didn't exist before and weren't mandated by any legislation.

The only thing to complain about is the price, but the price of ALL Mint products are high. So, that isn't a unique complaint to these medals and coins.

The Mint got increased sales of the commemorative, the WWI commission got increased revenue from the increased sales and 60,000 medals that didn't exist before will be in the hands of collectors and dealers.

In my eyes, these make it a winner, and something the Mint may try and replicate in the future.

Edited by BadDog
02/20/2018 1:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11045 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my eyes, these make it a winner, and something the Mint may try and replicate in the future.

I'm surf they will experiment more with things like this, some of the upcoming themes don't necessarily lend themselves to it very well though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had them in my cart and deleted them. I just don't want 5 extra proof dollars.

I bought 1 proof and 1 uncirculated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just don't want 5 extra proof dollars. I bought 1 proof and 1 uncirculated.

Likewise.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went with the individual uncirculated dollar, and while I was intrigued by some of the medals, I decided that I didn't want two of the same commemorative dollars even in different finishes. Had they sold the medals individually, I probably would have purchased one of them, but for $99 and an extra coin I don't need, it just wasn't worth it to me. However, I look forward to seeing pics from other members come May!
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I went with the individual uncirculated dollar, and while I was intrigued by some of the medals, I decided that I didn't want two of the same commemorative dollars even in different finishes.

I completely agree. I liked the medals and would have bought them, except I didn't need multiples of the dollar. Sorry to see the decision-making for this issue - hope it doesn't continue.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Had they sold the medals individually, I probably would have purchased one of them
Yup.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any kind of a buy-this-one-if-you-want-that-one deal is gonna cut both ways: there will be folks who will walk, and there will be folks who will buy.

We would need a pretty good sample size (a large number of events) to know if these deals generate higher sales because the deals (and coins and medals) can be so different.

As a buyer, I would prefer to not be jacked around; the markups seem generous enough that squeezing a few percent higher total sales this time 'round cannot be worth the long-term loss in good will.

I accept that we collectors are a herd to be milked; but do they have to squeeze so hard?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I accept that we collectors are a herd to be milked; but do they have to squeeze so hard?
As long as there is a bottom line, probably.
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other "new" thing that the Mint did with these coin/medal pairs was the mint to order program. This may have been tried previously, but I don't recall it if it was.

Is this another harbinger of the future? Are we going to see more of these "you order first, then we'll make it" programs? Is this a good marketing technique? Do you like it or not?

I don't believe the Mint would be able to use this technique for legislated coins, but for things they dream up on their own it's a whole different ball game.
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05