Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 World War I Centennial Silver Medals

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Learn More...
United States
60233 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this another harbinger of the future? Are we going to see more of these "you order first, then we'll make it" programs? Is this a good marketing technique? Do you like it or not?
Well, it does save them from having to recycle unsold product. That saves money from being wasted, so it is a good thing for their bottom line. Is it good for collectors? Probably does not matter. For investors? Not sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10888 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I accept that we collectors are a herd to be milked; but do they have to squeeze so hard?

Collectors aren't their sales target. They would rather sell in bulk to dealers and let the dealers worry about individual shipments. They obviously can't say only dealers can buy these with most products, but they would love it if that's what actually happened.

Quote:
The other "new" thing that the Mint did with these coin/medal pairs was the mint to order program. This may have been tried previously, but I don't recall it if it was.

They have done that before. One that comes to mind was one of the special ASE sets. That set ended up having huge cancellations after long waits waiting for them to start shipping. I believe something like 10-15% of total sales ended up being canceled with those

Their you order then we will make it could be viable if they can get them out in a week or two. If they take months every time it will get old fast

Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One that comes to mind was one of the special ASE sets. That set ended up having huge cancellations after long waits waiting for them to start shipping. I believe something like 10-15% of total sales ended up being canceled with those

I wonder how many cancellations will occur with these WWI medal sets given the 3 month wait?
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One that comes to mind was one of the special ASE sets. That set ended up having huge cancellations after long waits waiting for them to start shipping.

basebal21,

I don't collect ASEs, so I guess that one didn't register with me.

Assuming the Mint sticks with its stated delivery schedule, the coin/medal sets won't be shipped until late May, a 3 months delay. I suppose we could see some cancellations of these orders as well. Maybe that's even why there is a 3 months delay -- to weed out all of the buyer's remorse cancellations?

Hopefully, the Mint will continue to provide updated stats in the weekly production reports so folks who are interested, or who ordered, can see whether or not cancellations are occurring.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The big problem being solved by mint-to-order is that no one (at the Mint) need take the blame for minting way too many or minting way too few ... a recurring internal circular firing squad that might, in fact, be fun to watch.

So it may be a little self-serving, but its not evil.

For those who buy to hold, price gyrations add an element of relatively harmless sport to their collecting ... but its hardly necessary.

For those who buy to re-sell, price stability makes it more advantageous to keep on good terms with your customers.

Just because The Mint has been guessing production runs since, like, forever, is no reason to continue the practice.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Learn More...
United States
60233 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The big problem being solved by mint-to-order is that no one (at the Mint) need take the blame for minting way too many or minting way too few ... a recurring internal circular firing squad that might, in fact, be fun to watch.

So it may be a little self-serving, but its not evil.
Agreed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10888 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how many cancellations will occur with these WWI medal sets given the 3 month wait?

I expect at least 5 percent unless the medal after market stays strong. By then anyone who wants the commemorative will have it, so you're basically just buying the medal at an inflated price. I suspect the interest will have died down by then and many collectors will have been able to find preorders for just the medals and cancel their orders from the mint.

Quote:
Assuming the Mint sticks with its stated delivery schedule, the coin/medal sets won't be shipped until late May, a 3 months delay. I suppose we could see some cancellations of these orders as well. Maybe that's even why there is a 3 months delay -- to weed out all of the buyer's remorse cancellations?

It won't weed out cancellations it'll create them. The delay is just simply because they have to make them and will do so at a leisurely pace. It's just simply not a priority for them. Plus they have to order the packaging
Edited by basebal21
02/25/2018 3:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8648 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm glad I didn't spend money on these. I'm not a medal collector except for the Coin & Chronicles sets. I picked up the WWI commemoratives to keep my streak going but the medals, while very nice, just didn't do it for me with the marketing options. As others have said, if I can find a 5-medal set after market, I would consider buying but given the likely markup, I doubt it'll happen any time soon. Too many other things to buy.
Learn More...
United States
60233 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would consider buying but given the likely markup, I doubt it'll happen any time soon. Too many other things to buy.
Agreed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4329 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to throw cold water on anyone but I read somewhere that the Mint will be striking silver medals honoring the 5 branches of the military around 2020 and they will remain on sale forever.

Sure the 2020 medals won't be related to WWI and the Mint hasn't mentioned designs or anything yet guess we will have to wait and see.
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Learn More...
United States
60233 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see those made and will gladly wait for them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone get their medals? Thought they were shipping in May.
Learn More...
United States
60233 Posts
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got an email from the US Mint saying that

"unfortunately, we are not able to fulfill 'your order' at this time...If we do not hear from you within 48 hours we will automatically cancel your order"

any idea what this is about?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen any similar reports anywhere else...guess a call is in order
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05