Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How close can we get to a complete collection of US Pre-1964 coins?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104
Pillar of the Community
United States
3021 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go. 57-D

Pillar of the Community
United States
1298 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love to see that Lincoln !

Sweet Dime too !
Edited by stoneman227
12/04/2017 9:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3021 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I post it here? I don't want to hijack DominikWSP thread.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6889 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice 57-D 10 Tom. I bet you have them 57 quarters too!
"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I have to buy something."

Working on a Dansco 8166 Kennedy half album. 137pcs ,of 160 total, so far
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carwash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1957 D

Pillar of the Community
United States
768 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
USSID18:I like it Cross-eyed! Is there also a chip inside the 9 and on the left wheat stalk?

Thanks!There is a chip on the left stalk.Good catch!However,in the loop of the nine,is some crud that survived an acetone bath.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1298 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best tip I have gotten to clear that last bit of crud is to use a fresh rose thorn. Incredibly fine point and while still green it's soft enough not to scratch. Make sure the area is wet with acetone ( I use Naptha ) and lightly worry the crud with the point of the thorn. Should float the crud away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3021 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice 57-D 10 Tom. I bet you have them 57 quarters too!

Yes, but you're not going to see the 32-D and 36-D yet. I still haven't pulled the trigger on those guys yet. You will be the first to know when I do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3021 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks!There is a chip on the left stalk.Good catch!However,in the loop of the nine,is some crud that survived an acetone bath.

Oh, roger that. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3021 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The best tip I have gotten to clear that last bit of crud is to use a fresh rose thorn. Incredibly fine point and while still green it's soft enough not to scratch. Make sure the area is wet with acetone ( I use Naptha ) and lightly worry the crud with the point of the thorn. Should float the crud away.

Hmmm, interesting tip.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3021 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go stoneman227.

http://goccf.com/t/302100

Pillar of the Community
United States
5592 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Or without a green thorn handy use porcupine quills. I keep these by my microscope.

Where to get them when you cannot find a willing porcupine donor (or road kill)?

Type in "porcupine quills" on eBay.

Shop around though and don;t get the huge one. They are relatively inexpensive - like the one listing for 300 pieces at 4.99 or best offer plus 3.00 shipping.

You can even get them in a color preference...cleaned and dyed... all for under 5.00 :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porcupine-...AOSwIclZgUG7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porcupine-...AOSwAItZjc9s

I have used these on hundreds of coins. Many last very long, and some are small enough to scoop out the inside of a D mint mark on a dime. Not all are ideal though as some are thinner, thicker, duller,etc.

The only time they scratch, and a thorn is the same, is when the dirt itself is harder than the silver and it slides when poked.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29644 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that '57-D dime is a killer, congrats.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6889 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So were stuck looking for a 57-D quarter? Then a 57-D Franklin? I have the Franklin if someone post's the quarter.
"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I have to buy something."

Working on a Dansco 8166 Kennedy half album. 137pcs ,of 160 total, so far
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29644 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post the Franklin, no penalty!
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05