Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland 1940 Re Cent (Planchet Flaw?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  08:30 am Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a "re-engraved" or machine doubled 1940 Newfoundland small cent.
The reverse shows no signs of what I assume is a planchet flaw on the obverse.

I'll wait for other people's opinions before I state my own.

This coin is very interesting to me and I appreciate any comments regarding:
- how you think this coin came to be.
- the grade.

Cheers!

Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  09:35 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, not one comment. Very depressing! Come on people!

I believe this coin to have a planchet flaw. Perhaps a drop of oil made its way in to the mixed molten metals when struck. I have no real idea, which is why I posted on this site. Anyway, its cool and I like it.

If anyone else has an idea of why this coin looks the way it does, please offer your opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wear-wise I'd say VF+. It could be a planchet flaw or a strike-through or PMD. The pics don't show it well. Is it incuse? Raised? Sharp edges? Can't tell from the photos.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree...need a pic from a shallow angle...is it scratched? raised? impossible to tell from one photo
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35585 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like PMD to me. Why do you think it's a planchet flaw? Agree grade is strong VF.
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  08:47 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for piping in with your opinions.

I do not think the dark line across the head is PMD. If it were damaged, the lobe of the ear would also be affected I think.

We need a new pic to further discuss. I will try for a shallow pic that shows the coin on more of a plane. Check back tomorrow.
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having a hard time getting the right photos...

I'll try again
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
949 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks PMD . I gotta a theory but I'll
for better pic's .
"If you going to err,do it with flair . That way you'll remember and not repeat the mistake"

W.R.Robertson
R.I.P.
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, there will be no better pics. I can't even get new ones as clear as the ones already posted.

Please offer your opinions without new photos.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You still haven't answered if the anomalies are raised or recessed. Whatever it is affects both the design and the fields. That usually eliminates strikethroughs and most planchet flaws, as well as any problems with the hub.
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I can see, the anomalies do not appear to be indented or raised. They are flat to the rest of the design.

What are you thinking?
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another pic I managed to take...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that something rested on the coin for a long time that had some oil or chemical content ... a piece of a rag, leather, plastic, etc. There was just a chemical reaction .. maybe they were together in a drawer or box or something.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
949 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are flat to the rest of the design.

That throws out my theory . Okiecoiner's thoughts would explain the overall condition . I concur with that.
"If you going to err,do it with flair . That way you'll remember and not repeat the mistake"

W.R.Robertson
R.I.P.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05