Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisition

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 138
Learn More...
United States
72097 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Continuing my fledgling collection of fair and exhibition medals - an example of the Martin Luther / Lutheran Church medal from the Chicago Century of Progress exhibition of 1933. It commemorates the 450th anniversary of the birth of Martin Luther. 35mm Bronze HK-472
Looking good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fairly common, but new medal for me, is this example from the 1964 New York World's Fair and the 300th Anniversary of New York City.

Various reverses exist, something to look for in no hurry.

I apologize for the diff background tones, sometimes I'm better with my cell phone camera. Sometimes not.

Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more for the day, a bronze medal, 1-1/4" diameter struck in honor of Thomas Edison, 1947, on the 100th anniversary of his birth.

"With the compliments of Salamm Temple A.A.O.N.M.S. Newark, N.J. 1947"

I have noted a similar medal with a different back but with a Masonic reference.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
20469 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
999fine, those are some good looking medals!
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Learn More...
United States
72097 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A fairly common, but new medal for me, is this example from the 1964 New York World's Fair and the 300th Anniversary of New York City.

Quote:
One more for the day, a bronze medal, 1-1/4" diameter struck in honor of Thomas Edison, 1947, on the 100th anniversary of his birth.
Nice pair!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking the time to comment
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8005 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of many numismatic mysteries as of yet unsolved is the origin, purpose, and manufacture of these British "Columbia" farthing-size copper tokens. Fuld & Kyle both agree on an 1820-1830 date range, but beyond that, little is known, including whom the bust is representing (the Duke of Wellington or Simon Bolivar), the figure on the reverse (Britannia or Justice), and the reason for their existence. For such an oddball issue, Kyle has so far catalogued over 26 obverse and reverse varieties!

Unless some contemporary sources arise that can shed light on the manufacture and intent of these tokens, they will likely remain an intriguing mystery. This particular one I grabbed recently is Kyle #16 (10/K die pairing), fully uncirculated with a double planchet clip. The workmanship is very crude, with lots of recutting and obvious very rough die engraving which suggests little care was exercised in the process of striking them, and large numbers of these tokens are still easily and readily available, meaning they were produced in quantity and for a length of time. I have not (yet) seen any others with double clips.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice medals 999! I have seen the Edison obverse with different reverses also and of course there's the nickel c.smith so called dollar.

Paralyse, I am pretty sure these odd pennies, halfpennies and like your Columbia farthing are referred to as Canadian Borderline Tokens.

Described by Fred Bowman in the Canadian Numismatic Journal. issue of September, 1966, Fred has put together a group of English and Irish tradesmen's tokens that saw circulation in Canada. Atkins in his "The coins and tokens of the possessions and colonies of the British empire", London, 1889 included most of these in his Canada section, under
Miscellaneous and doubtful.
Bowman listed twenty-eight varieties. They saw circulation in Canada, but typically not in sufficient enough quantities to be deemed Canadian.

Coincidently, today I went through my collection of about 120 or so Colonial Canadian Tokens and put them in the same order as they appear in the 8th Edition Charlton Book. Each is a different penny or halfpenny from the other.
I see I have a couple Brutus and Lion Halfpennies and they have subtle differences. Also a Mercury and Wellington & Erin Go Bragh and another Vincit Amor Patriae Halfpenny. Others I have may fall into this catagory but I have not found a complete listing. Mine reside on the last page in my binder.

When I was collecting and searching for these Colonial Canadian Tokens, I would see these Borderlines listed in the same catagory. All this I post is just info I compiled from a few sources and used snippets and added my own two cents.
My favorite album!

Image hosting is provided by CCF.
Thank you for your generosity!

World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
05/30/2019 11:09 pm
Learn More...
United States
72097 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PARALYSE - medals with a historical anchor such as this are my favorites. Don'tknow a thing about them but love to see them.

TNG - Holy cow, that is quite a collection you mention. Thanks for the information.

Today's mail brought 9 additions to my collection, but nothing with the historical signifigance as this item.I'll post a few of them as I find time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - Looks like you didn't buy either "20" medal. I did get the auction item at opening bid which I entered just in case you passed on it. Since it's a Chicago fair item. Wasn't trying to bump you on it. Were neither the quality you desire?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When do medals become paperweights?

Okay, I am new to medal collecting and don't know much. I found a few listing for this CENTURY OF PROGRESS - WALGREEN medal offered but I never noted a size mentioned. Yes, silly boy.

Medal has a 2-1/2 inch diameter. The modeling is quite crude which made me think this was a tiny item. BIG SURPRISE THERE!

It seems cast in some "pot metal"

Re paperweights: they were originally used in offices or rooms which had no modern air conditioning, which relied on open windows and circulating fans to provide relief from summer heat. Today they are more of a decor item especially in the glass collectibles.

Trivia question for readers: in your school days, what was the earliest grade that you remember having central air conditioning in your schooling?

(For me, never, always open windows and fans even through high school)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TNG - Looks like you didn't buy either "20" medal. I did get the auction item at opening bid which I entered just in case you passed on it. Since it's a Chicago fair item. Wasn't trying to bump you on it. Were neither the quality you desire?

I am patient and need one that matches the other two. Even the one at 12 BIN doesn't do it for me and the other with the fingerprint won't do.
I'll just hang loose. No, I don't remember the one you got but I vaguely remember 3 were listed amd yours might be a nice one but a little darker. None were matching my 5 and 10 in color and condition so I passed. In time one will come my way.
Thanks for thinking of me though.

Quote:
When do medals become paperweights?

I think sellers just call them that. They are probably better known as souvenirs or big lucky nickels or pennies in my opinion.
As for school, we had a long pole with a hook on the end to open the upper half of any of the four windows. There was a brass or cast metal piece in the center at the top with a hole that matched the hook to pull it down.
They could get cleaned safer that way when they were down.
Had to wear sport coats and a tie. When it was terribly hot, we were allowed to take off our sport coat. That was our AC.

My favorite album!

Image hosting is provided by CCF.
Thank you for your generosity!

World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
05/31/2019 11:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck in the mail today, a GOOD LUCK medal from The Century of Progress World's Fair.

On front the year 1933 and the Century of Progress logo.

On the reverse "good luck" symbols of the time: what looks like a wishbone, a horseshoe, a 4-leaf clover and a swastika and the text "Good Luck." Diameter 1-1/4 inches.

Edited by 999fine
06/01/2019 1:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4058 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2019  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
999fine- A swastika? That World's Fair was in Chicago, correct? That is very interesting! So there were obvious Nazi Sympathizers back then in Chicago. That symbol with the wishbone, a horseshoe and a 4-leaf clover, seems very odd! Interesting indeed! !
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Page: of 138  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05