Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisition

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 147
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8069 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're hooked 999! Nice Fair & Rodeo medal.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - yes, line and sinker as well.

Thanks to all who found favor with this medal.

A correction on the minted quantities, I believe the two examples on blue and red cards were proofs, perhaps sterling and nickel-silver.

Minting quantity for public distribution I think was 5000.

Still a nice medal. I'm looking at some examples from other years as well, one with Lewis and Clark and one with Will Rogers.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few of the medals and badges in this bulk lot caught my eye. Identifying some of the pieces has been trickier than I thought.

Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Hawaiian Princesses that are worth their weight in gold. One ounce of .9999 fine gold to be exact.

NGC completed grading/encapsulating these Hawaiian beauties today. The collection consist of only 4 gold crowns that depict Princess Ka'iulani and was manufactured by Honolulu-based Royal Hawaiian Mint.

All are top pops (three were unlisted by NGC in their census). Image is of the rarest which is the First Day Issue counterstruck specimen.

My complete write-up and collection can be seen at NGC Registry Custom Set:
https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=27645
Learn More...
United States
73250 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
809 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tale of three cities

I may have something worth mentioning: three jetons (copper tokens) from the 1660-ies mentioning or celebrating three cities in the Netherlands that were officially split after 80 years of war and final peace in 1648 into the Spanish Netherlands in the South and the Dutch republic in the North.

Yet, the first two are military, illustrating the battle between Spain and France, the two superpowers of those days, for dominion over the Spanish Netherlands. Spain was loosing and France, under Louis XIV (the sun king) was winning.

Spain tried to defend the country with fortified cities and for that purpose they erected a new town, called Charleroi after the king Charles II (who was a small kid in those days). The obverse has a nice portrait of the king and the reverse shows a scheme of the typical fortifications of the period; below a photo of a modern model how the city must have looked like with the river Sambre running along the ravelins and brick walls. Charleroi is today one of the mayor cities of Belgium.

The second jeton is from France and celebrates one year later the capture of Tournai (Doornik) one of the most important historical towns of the Spanish Netherlands, not far from Charleroi. The first thing Louis did is bring his brilliant military engineer Vauban to the place, to turn the mediaval fortifications into a modern fortified city, like the example of Charleroi. The obverse shows Louis XIV and the reverse the fortifications on which the war god Mars is standing (jeton has some wear so it is not so clear)

today Tournai is one of the best preserved medieval towns of Belgium, quite small and very old - the cathedral is fabulous and a must for any traveler of the region.

The third piece is from the United Provinces, the Dutch Republic who was at that time an ally of Spain and still far away from the front of the battlefield (the situation would change in 1672 when France invaded Holland). The strange jeton shows life from a sunny side as it celebrated in 1664 the fact that the people of the old town of Amersfoort were foolish enough to drag an enormous 9 tonne boulder for about 6 miles from the moors near Soest into the town. This major achievement of human muscle was celebrated with this (rather big and round !) jeton and lots of beer of course and made the city famous, giving it the nickname keistad and its inhabitants keitrekkers.

The jeton Dugn.4209 mentions the stone on the obverse 'Palladium Amersfort'

Amersfoort is a fantastic old town for a one day visit, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amersfoort and of course the stone is one of the highlights and can't be missed

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8069 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff guys! Love it!
Pickin's are slim for me these days.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1c5d7n5m

Enjoyed your write-up. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8069 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Memory of My Army Life on the Mexican Border Medal
Trust in The Lord and Keep Your Powder Dry with eagle, shield and US flag on reverse
Undated but most attribute to circa 1917. I personally think it may be a year or three later.

This is very similar to so-called dollar HK-892
Service With American Army In the Worlds War 1917 Medal except cactus was added in the background of the same kneeling soldier. Reverse is the same. 35 mm Bronze.

I had wanted one of these but they fetched way too high prices for my taste until this one came along. I picked this one because I am confident I can de-crud the trapped grime and properly conserve it.

Before and After images will update later.

Mexican Border War (1910-1919)

The Border War, or the Border Campaign, refers to the military engagements which took place in the Mexico-United States border region of North America during the Mexican Revolution. The Bandit War in Texas was part of the Border War. From the beginning of the Mexican Revolution in 1910, the United States Army was stationed in force along the border and on several occasions fought with Mexican rebels or federals.

The height of the conflict came in 1916 when revolutionary Pancho Villa attacked the American border town of Columbus, New Mexico. In response, the United States Army, under the direction of General John J. Pershing, launched an expedition into northern Mexico, to find and capture Villa.
Though the operation was successful in finding and engaging the Villista rebels, and in killing Villa's two top lieutenants, the revolutionary himself escaped and the American army returned to the United States in January 1917.
Conflict at the border continued, however, and the United States launched several additional, though smaller operations into Mexican territory until after the American victory in the Battle of Ambos Nogales, leading to the establishment of a permanent border wall.

Almost 100 years ago to the day that I post, American and Mexican forces skirmished near El Paso, Texas, on the border on June 16th 1919 in what was known as the Battle of Ciudad Juárez.
This conflict is singular for the fact that the Mexican army and the American army joined forces to fight the Villistas led by Pancho Villa.
It was the second-largest battle of the Mexican Revolution involving the United States, and is considered the last battle of the Border War.

On Friday, 20 July 1923, Villa was killed while visiting Parral.
He frequently made trips from his ranch to Parral for banking and other errands, where he generally felt secure. Villa was usually accompanied by his entourage of Dorados, or bodyguards, but for some unknown reason on that day he had gone into the town without most of them, taking with him only three guards and two other employees. He went to pick up a consignment of gold from the local bank with which to pay his Canutillo ranch staff. While driving back through the city in his black 1919 Dodge touring car, Villa passed by a school, and a pumpkinseed vendor ran toward his car and shouted "Viva Villa!", a signal to a group of seven riflemen who then appeared in the middle of the road and fired more than 40 rounds into the automobile. In the fusillade, nine dumdum bullets, normally used for hunting big game, hit Villa in the head and upper chest, killing him instantly.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
06/15/2019 09:48 am
Learn More...
United States
73250 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
809 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting story TGN !

Quote:
Before and After images will update later.

looking forward to see the change
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure enjoy the history lessons that come with so many of the medal postings. The Army Life token from TNG is especially of interest.

I know nearly nothing about European history prior to WWI and found these 3 quite interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
828 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sure enjoy the history lessons that come with so many of the medal postings. The Army Life token from TNG is especially of interest.

I know nearly nothing about European history prior to WWI and found these 3 quite interesting.

999, I feel exactly the same.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a second Midland Empire State Fair & Rodeo medal, this example featuring noted US western artist Charles M. Russell, likely struck in Sterling by the Franklin Mint. I suppose commemoratives like this for events were commissioned work and not simply one of many from a topic such as Western Artists.

Background is mirror perfect, streaking is reflection picked up in my phone camera shooting. My first silver medal in my Fairs & Exhibitions collection and the detail is exquisite.

Edited by 999fine
06/16/2019 8:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8069 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great one 999, I posted a similar one here
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=72#2810507
My favorite album!
Page: of 147 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05