Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisition

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 161
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8203 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Won today: 5 MEX
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, 5 Mexican jumping beans!
Coins were meant to be spent.
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8203 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1899 Admiral Dewey - Remember the Maine
Looped Brass Parade Medal

One of the more scarce Admiral Dewey medals you'll find and in above average condition. These are called "Parade Medals" and probably hung from a ribbon and bar above the ribbon.
In March 1899, by an act of Congress, Dewey was elevated to the rank of Admiral of the Navy. In late September 1899, Dewey's flagship USS Olympia reached the coast of the United States. Dewey led a victory parade in New York City on September 30, 1899. He also participated in celebrations in Washington, D.C., and Montpelier, Vermont.
Medals like this and celluloid pinback buttons were worn by spectators at these parades and for other patriotic reasons by Americans of the time.

The "Remember the Maine" slogan has not been forgotten completely, but it is fading due to the ever dwindling teaching of United States History.
The USS Maine, an armored cruiser, was a United States Navy ship that sank in Havana Harbor in February 1898, contributing to the outbreak of the Spanish-American War in April.
American newspapers claimed that the Spanish were responsible for the ship's destruction.
The phrase "Remember the Maine! To heck with Spain!" became a rallying cry for action. Although the Maine explosion was not a direct cause, it served as a catalyst that accelerated the events leading up to the Spanish American War.

I've added a couple of my 1954 Topps Scoop non sports collector cards to this post.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1899 Admiral Dewey - Remember the Maine
Looped Brass Parade Medal
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - I do appreciate your interest in history AND the medals that tell the story. I think that's what got me hooked here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8203 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again 999! You do a great job with your posts.

I just got this TYPE I to go along with my ticket and TYPE II So-Called Dollar.

CALIFORNIA MIDWINTER EXPOSITION
1894 SAN FRANCISCO MEDAL

By opening day, $730,000 had been spent "without the gift of a single dollar from the nation, state or municipality." Ground broken Aug. 24, 1893; more than 100 buildings completed 6 months later.
Site, Center of Golden Gate Park; 200 acres cleared for purpose.
Held February 28 to July 9 1894 with attendance over 2,255,000. Palace of Fine Arts and Japanese Tea Garden were only permanent buildings but former replaced 1917 by de Young Museum; Tea Garden remains.
Many states, territories and foreign countries brought their exhibits from Columbian Exposition.
Opened in winter to "accentuate the climatic possibilities of California at the time of the severest low temperature in the eastern country."
Exposition emphasized agricultural, horticultural and mineral exhibits; many new varieties fruits and grains displayed for first time.
There are two medals long considered as "official" but actually there were no dollar-size piece so labeled by exposition. Many aluminum medals listed were struck in Mechanics Building on grounds.

This is Type I without Sun Rays on obverse, a standing smaller bear and other slight differences. There is a complete circle near the reverse rim and this type seems to be less commonly found.
Both are of Brass Composition.

My TYPE II (Which is in much nicer condition obviously but easier to find)

and my ticket

Links to my earlier posts for the 1894 California Exposition acquisitions.
TYPE II
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=117#2937301
Ticket
http://goccf.com/t/330506&whichpage=7#2991743
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17831 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great additions! I love the Dewey medal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - those California medals certainly have a draw to them. I have neither, perhaps some day soon...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8203 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, got this tiny one on the way.

1893 Columbian Exposition
Columbus Worlds Fair - Lords Prayer Medalet

A one half inch looped brass medal. Probably hung from a stickpin and perhaps one of the less expensive souvenirs found at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.
Nobody really knows exactly what Columbus looked like.
There are no known portraits of him which Columbus posed for.
There are many artist conceptions depicting Christopher Columbus.
The image in the center of this collage probably comes closest from accounts in writings, but he probably had blue eyes. He had red hair but reportedly it had turned white by the time he reached 30 years of age.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
09/14/2019 09:40 am
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TNG - I do appreciate your interest in history AND the medals that tell the story. I think that's what got me hooked here.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10538 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 Joan of Arc.
250th Anniversary of the City of New Orleans.
Mardi Gras Doubloon Coin Token

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10538 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Local Dollar Tokens)
1979 Saint John ,New Brunswick .
Trade dollar Token .

Page: of 161  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05