Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisition

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 166
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BCTokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A quick Google search shows Mr Vilas was a prominent "druggist" in S. Dakota in the early 20th century.

Since at least 1936, and they are still around, but not in Bryant any more.

Thanks for the information. I had set my search too narrow, and didn't turn up anything.

Jan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11183 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
India
Four Annas.

Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 Golden Jubilee medal in white metal, 45mm, BHM-3295.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  05:42 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yarm - a very attractive portrait. And at 45mm it must be stunning in-hand.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  07:04 am  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1800's Napoleon Empereur France Spiel Marke, holed

Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BCTokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an advertising piece for the Irish Sweepstakes:

The obverse reads:

IRISH HOSPITAL SWEEPS
TICKETS 10/- EACH
GRAND NATIONAL MARCH
THE DERBY JUNE
CAMBRIDGESHIRE OCTOBER

FORTUNE AWAITS YOU

And the reverse has instructions:

LUCKY SQUARE
SIT ON THIS AND WISH
YOUR WISH WILL BE GRANTED

APPLIES ONLY TO THE VIRTUOUS

I'm afraid to try it in case it doesn't work.

Jan
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is an advertising piece for the Irish Sweepstakes:
Very nice!

Quote:
I'm afraid to try it in case it doesn't work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yellow88 - had not been familiar with such, thanks for showing.

BCTokens - Nice! I have a fondness for tokens that have a tie-in to history, contemporary of the time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 22nd different Century of Progress medal...

31mm brass,

Obv:

1833 / 1933
SOUVENIR
A CENTURY
OF PROGRESS
CHICAGO

GREENDUCK CHI.

Rev:

An aerial view of the fair grounds, no text.

This appears to be polished brass, not gilt.

Edited by 999fine
11/17/2019 1:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8251 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great new additions since I've been able to check in. Thanks!
Glad the thread lives on!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8251 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1964 Nevada Statehood Heraldic Art Medal
(My 32nd Different Heraldic Art So-called Half Dollar so far)

There are over 65 Heraldic Art medals to make up a complete set, I have no present ambitions to complete the set but I do grab one if I like it and it will expand my collection.
(Images will update when I get a chance to rework pictures)

Silver mining in Nevada, a state of the United States, began in 1858 with the discovery of the Comstock Lode, the first major silver-mining district in the United States. Nevada calls itself the "Silver State."
Nevada is the nation's second-largest producer of silver, after Alaska. In 2014 Nevada produced 10.93 million troy ounces of silver, of which 6,74 million ounces were as a byproduct of the mining of gold.
Nevada is officially known as the "Silver State" because of the importance of silver to its history and economy. It is also known as the "Battle Born State", because it achieved statehood during the Civil War in 1864.
Eight days before the presidential election of 1864, Nevada became the 36th state in the union, despite lacking the minimum requisite 60,000 residents in order to become a state.
At the time Nevada's population was little more than 10,000.
Rather than sending the Nevada constitution to Washington by Pony Express, the full text was sent by telegraph at a cost of $3,416.77.
It was the most costly telegraph on file for a single dispatch. Finally, the response from Washington came on October 31, 1864: "the pain is over, the child is born, Nevada this day was admitted into the Union".
Statehood was rushed to the date of October 31 to help ensure Abraham Lincoln's reelection on November 8 and post-Civil War Republican dominance in Congress, as Nevada's mining-based economy tied it to the more industrialized Union. As it turned out, however, Lincoln and the Republicans won the election handily, and did not need Nevada's help.

The Carson City Mint was built as a result of the great amounts of silver mined in Nevada. Founder of Carson City and named the first superintendent of the newly constructed Mint, Abraham Curry oversaw the production of the first coins struck at the Carson City Mint in January of 1870. The first coins struck were those of Christian Gobrecht's Liberty Seated silver dollars design from 1836. The famous "CC" mintmark was chosen and placed below the heraldic eagle.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4050 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice add and write up TNG
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1964 Nevada Statehood Heraldic Art Medal
Very nice!

I never knew Nevada was way below the population threshold for statehood.
Page: of 166 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05