1884-5 World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition
This medal/token is listed in "UNITED STATES TRADE TOKENS 1866-1889"
by Russell Rulau
Rulau # La-NO 52 1885 Brass 26mm and Plain Edge.
The 1884 World's Fair was held in New Orleans, Louisiana.
At a time when nearly one third of all cotton produced in the United States was handled in New Orleans and the city was home to the "Cotton Exchange", the idea for the fair was first advanced by the Cotton Planters Association.
The name "World Cotton Centennial" referred to the earliest-surviving record of export of a shipment of cotton from the U.S. to England in 1784.
It was also known as the "World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition".
The U.S. Congress lent $1 million to the fair's directors and gave $300,000 for the construction of a large US Government & State Exhibits Hall on the site.
However, the planning and construction of the fair was marked by corruption and scandals, and state treasurer Edward A. Burke
absconded abroad with some $ 1,777,000 dollars of state money including most of the fair's budget.
Despite such serious financial difficulties, the Fair succeeded in offering many attractions to visitors. It covered 249 acres, stretching from St. Charles Ave. to the Mississippi River, and was notable in that it could be entered directly by railway, steamboat, or ocean-going ship.
The main building enclosed 33 acres and was the largest roofed structure constructed up to that time. It was illuminated with 5,000 electric lights, still a novelty at the time, and said to be ten times the number that existed in New Orleans outside of the fairgrounds.
There was also a Horticultural Hall shown below. Also, was an observation tower with electric elevators, and working examples of multiple designs of experimental electric street-cars.
The Mexican exhibit was particularly lavish and popular, constructed at a cost of $200,000, and featuring a huge brass band that was a great hit locally. Every one looks like they had a moustache.The 8th Cavalry Mexican Military Band
on the grounds of The World's Industrial And Cotton Centennial Exposition in 1884.
On December 16, 1884, U.S. President Chester Arthur opened the fair via telegraph. It closed on June 2, 1885. In an unsuccessful attempt to recover some of the financial losses from the Fair, the grounds and structures were reused for the "North Central & South American Exposition" from November 10, 1885, to March 31, 1886, with little success.
After this the structures were publicly auctioned off, most going only for their worth in scrap.