Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisition

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 180
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8462 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1884-5 World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition
New Orleans
Souvenir Medal

This medal/token is listed in "UNITED STATES TRADE TOKENS 1866-1889"
by Russell Rulau
Rulau # La-NO 52 1885 Brass 26mm and Plain Edge.

The 1884 World's Fair was held in New Orleans, Louisiana.
At a time when nearly one third of all cotton produced in the United States was handled in New Orleans and the city was home to the "Cotton Exchange", the idea for the fair was first advanced by the Cotton Planters Association.
The name "World Cotton Centennial" referred to the earliest-surviving record of export of a shipment of cotton from the U.S. to England in 1784.
It was also known as the "World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition".

The U.S. Congress lent $1 million to the fair's directors and gave $300,000 for the construction of a large US Government & State Exhibits Hall on the site.
However, the planning and construction of the fair was marked by corruption and scandals, and state treasurer Edward A. Burke absconded abroad with some $ 1,777,000 dollars of state money including most of the fair's budget.

Despite such serious financial difficulties, the Fair succeeded in offering many attractions to visitors. It covered 249 acres, stretching from St. Charles Ave. to the Mississippi River, and was notable in that it could be entered directly by railway, steamboat, or ocean-going ship.

The main building enclosed 33 acres and was the largest roofed structure constructed up to that time. It was illuminated with 5,000 electric lights, still a novelty at the time, and said to be ten times the number that existed in New Orleans outside of the fairgrounds.

There was also a Horticultural Hall shown below. Also, was an observation tower with electric elevators, and working examples of multiple designs of experimental electric street-cars.

The Mexican exhibit was particularly lavish and popular, constructed at a cost of $200,000, and featuring a huge brass band that was a great hit locally. Every one looks like they had a moustache.

The 8th Cavalry Mexican Military Band
on the grounds of The World's Industrial And Cotton Centennial Exposition in 1884.

On December 16, 1884, U.S. President Chester Arthur opened the fair via telegraph. It closed on June 2, 1885. In an unsuccessful attempt to recover some of the financial losses from the Fair, the grounds and structures were reused for the "North Central & South American Exposition" from November 10, 1885, to March 31, 1886, with little success.
After this the structures were publicly auctioned off, most going only for their worth in scrap.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12476 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Souvenir Tokens)
1978 Token -
XI Commonwealth Games Edmonton Canada
Roger Bannister & John Landy.

Learn More...
United States
82381 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - what a wonderful and desirable US medal! Thanks for all the background info.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8462 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate that 999.
You may notice some verdigris or green substance on the surface of the 1884-5 World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition medal. I have bought more than a few medals with that condition and a soaking in acetone has cleaned them up 98% of the time.
Those images will update after I get that done.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8462 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did get my fourth in the set acquiring the 1948 c.smith Admiral Dewey Medal tonight to complete a second set of 4 medals, which is all there were that year with 8 other medals being from the year 1947.

I just posted about this a page or so back ( LINK: http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=172#3135738 ) when I picked up my second Maine medal. Within that post are links to previous posts about the 1947 and 1948 sets.
So here are images of both 1948 sets and these do not grow on trees.

First Set

Second Set ( completed today )

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8462 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have three gilt 1947 and a 1948 Sampson medal that are from the same dies but not necessarily actual c.smith medals. They gilt ones remain a mystery but I have learned this on CCF from fellow member commems and it's worth quoting.

Quote:
I can add a little bit on C. Smith and his medals.

Charles E. Smith was a Boston coin dealer. I don't believe he was a big dealer or a "market maker" as I've not seen ads of his in the primary numismatic publication of the time - the ANA's The Numismatist. (This is just conjecture on my part, however.)

At the time Smith's medals were issued, the US Congress was putting the brakes on US commemorative half dollar coins. Smith may have believed he could fill a void in the marketplace by creating commemorative medals that were roughly the same size; Smith's medals were slightly larger at 32 mm in diameter to avoid running afoul of the US Government.

You mentioned that the 1947 issues can "sometimes be found in Mehgrig album pages." At the time of issue, Smith contracted with Wayte Raymond, the originator of such boards, to create a page for the eight-piece set and to use "So-Called Half Dollars" as the title for it. Mehgrig may have reprinted the board after the original Wayte Raymond supply was sold out; they did so with many of the other Wayte Raymond pages. In the 1960s, Capital Plastics also produced three-piece plastic holders for these medals.

The Battle of Lexington, the Daniel Boone, the Lindbergh, the Antarctic Expedition and the Pony Express pieces were all originally issued prior to 1947; Whitehead and Hoag re-struck these medals for Smith from the dies they had used in prior years.

Hope that helps a little!

Here are 4 gilt medals I have that are quite nice and finally a "Lucky Lindy" bronze medal.

The oddball, never saw another!

Not gilt, not white metal.

My favorite album!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12476 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1978 Token -
XI Commonwealth Games Edmonton Canada.
Decima Norma.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12476 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 dollars token.
Nanaimo - Bathtub Race Capital
29th Annual Bathtube Race.
Loyal Nanaimo Bathtube Society Salutes
Nanaimo Marine Festival 1995.

Valued Member
Canada
435 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dennman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see these Vancouver Island tokens. I have many of these in my collection.Yours are in great condition.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A medal by J.Taylor for the Stewponey Becher good samaritan club.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12476 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice to see these Vancouver Island tokens. I have many of these in my collection.Yours are in great condition.

Thank You!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12476 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wooden Nickel
Circle E Saddle & Western Wear.
Victoria,B.C.
English tack.

Edited by Dorado
01/24/2020 1:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
82381 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8462 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,
Thanks for the recent posts.
My favorite album!
Page: of 180  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05