Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,148 / Views: 170,082Next Topic
Page: of 210
Pillar of the Community
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife picked this out of a coin shops junk bin. I wish I knew what it was when we picked it up. There were several others from this series in the bin that day.

These were given out at Husky Gas Stations here is the US in the late 60s through the early 70s. They were minted by the Franklin Mint for the Husky Oil Company as a promotional "Collect Them All" gimmick. There are 13 medals in this series....guess I'll have to catch em all.

The series is titled Rugged Americans.

This is where our world (coin collecting) combines with the really popular collector category of Gas and Oil memorabilia.
Edited by MontCollector
11/28/2017 11:55 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MontCollector, Thats a really neat medal! Funny you posted it as I just looked at a whole set of them this afternoon! I went back in my browser history and found it. Check out the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hu....m2548.l4275
Edited by Tootallious
11/29/2017 12:08 am
Learn More...
United States
91230 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a medal I purchased earlier this year as a member of the EAC.

Quote:
My wife picked this out of a coin shops junk bin.
Both are very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9065 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the EAC and Geronimo medals. Nice!
I have an old Goudy non sport trading card with that Geronimo mugshot.

Add these two to my Heraldic Medals from this earlier post.
http://goccf.com/t/301479#2575015

1962 Louisiana and 1959 Hawaii

In 1959 The Hawaii medals were struck in 192 gr sterling at first but the US Treasury Dept forced the weight change to be 262 gr sterling. Some of the Hawaii medals were struck in the heavier weight.

This is the "Thin" Hawaii Statehood medal. One of the more desirable Heraldic medals in either weight. But the Hawaii "Thin" medal had a mintage of 4600 and the "Thick" had a mintage of 1200.

Three different medals were struck each year from 1959 to 1978 which makes a total of 60 medals in a complete set. The mintages were reported between 5000 and no more than 7000 but there is some info that some were significantly lower than 5000 and the silver boom of the late 70's and early 80's resulted in many being melted.

A note on the mintage figures I am supplying.
There are contradictory numbers found on the internet about Heraldic Art Medals and that is if you can even find them. If anyone finds a really good source, PM me please.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
11/29/2017 12:57 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow TNG, I really had no idea that medals such as the one's you have been posting, as well as others that have shared, even existed! They really are beautiful and unique

This is indeed a great thread that you have started as well as a learning tool for those of us (unless I'm the only one) that didn't know of their existence. I'm impressed and looking forward to seeing more. Thank you, and those who have and will be sharing theirs
Edited by Tootallious
11/29/2017 1:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
91230 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9065 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Toot and jbuckster ... Heres a little bit of info. Wish the whole book was there. I think there's 13 pages of the book here. Just click anywhere on a page and it goes to the next.
http://www.heraldicartmedals.com/
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
11/29/2017 3:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
348 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In 1959 The Hawaii medals were struck in 192 gr sterling at first but the US Treasury Dept forced the weight change to be 262 gr sterling. Some of the Hawaii medals were struck in the heavier weight.

This is the "Thin" Hawaii Statehood medal. One of the more desirable Heraldic medals in either weight. But the Hawaii "Thin" medal had a mintage of 4600 and the "Thick" had a mintage of 1200.

I made the low vs. high volcano discovery relating to the Hawaii Statehood medal back in 2013.

It's easy to spot this variety (high volcano on left and low volcano on right).

All gold issues are low volcano.

All medal configured dies are high volcano.

There are five varieties of the Hawaii Statehood medal. More details can be found at my ANA blog.
https://www.money.org/collector/drd...cano-variety
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9065 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wowzer! Aloha-mazing! Those gold ones are very rare.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice Hawaii coins! I'd overlooked that these are dated 1959 coins; guess I'm going shopping!

Learn More...
United States
17482 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't a new acquisition of mine (as I picked it up in Berlin in 1990), but I believe that it is the only medal that I own, so I'm hoping that you don't mind if I post it here. It is an East German Civil Defense medal and seems to be made from plated steel.

My German translation skills aren't great, but it is says something like "For true devotion to duty" and "For the protection of these workers and farmers".

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9065 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good one Spence
OK so here's a bunch of Canadian Royal Family medals of which I made a collage.

Top left is about quarter size and is sterling
1897 Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
Top right is a Half Dollar size bronze
1897 Four Generations
Middle left is bronze Half Dollar size
1927 Royal Visit Medal
Middle right is bronze Dollar size
1939 Royal Visit Medal
Bottom left is bronze Dollar size
1953 Queen Elizabeth II Coronation
and bottom right is a small cent size
1967 Centennial of The Confederation
My favorite album!
Rest in Peace
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2017  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, that's a pretty cool medal to have

TNG, You made those in collage? Awesome! I'm impressed
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11097 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2017  02:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence

Quote:
My German translation skills aren't great, but it is says something like "For true devotion to duty" and "For the protection of these workers and farmers".

I would say that "Für treue Pflichterfüllung" means "For Dutiful Service."

"Für den Schutz der Arbeiter-und-Bauern macht" means "For the Protection of the Workers and Farmers Power". Or, power as in contribution. I think that's why "macht" appears at the end; the workers' and farmers' "work".

It was a medal given by the Zivilverteidigung der DDR or the civil defense of the Deutsche Democratische Republik (East Germany). That's how I understand it.

Here is a page about the medal, albeit in German:

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Med...?wprov=sfla1

My translation skills need assistance all the time.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Learn More...
United States
17482 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2017  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good refinements @spruett and thanks for that link!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Page: of 210 Previous TopicReplies: 3,148 / Views: 170,082Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05