Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,025 / Views: 156,073Next Topic
Page: of 202
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and one more

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8848 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Page 200!

I had made a promise to myself that at some point I must stop hunting these things. Don't get me wrong, I truly love em, and it is not an easy decision but to make.
I enjoy them so much but it's the end of the trail for me.
(unless I win the only item I am bidding on and winning right now. LOL)
Time to get them out and look at them and organize them in such a way that others could make sense of them should I leave them behind. This area of collecting can go on forever as there are so many directions one could take in Exonumia.

So I want to thank CCF for the album pages and image hosting I have used, and thanks to everyone for your awesome contributions, also for participating and viewing all the wonderful posts from everyone.
I learned a lot of information and history here from you and have tried to record my collection in an informative "Readers Digest" way. Thank you all especially who admired my collection I've posted here.
I tried my best to post accurate information.
You people have made the last 200 pages a wonderful time for me. Do you know as I write this, that the thread is numero 1 in the Forum: Tokens, Medals, Challenge Coins, and other Exonumia?
It has had 149,855 views and 2,987 replies as of today. I hope it lives on.

With that, I feel my last post here in this thread is fitting as I drive my wagon on the Oregon Trail off into the sunset with this.
Happy Trails people!

1959 OREGON STATEHOOD CENTENNIAL
Eugene Oregon ~ Emerald Empire
HK-557 Gilt Bronze

5,000 were minted in Gilt Bronze, the obverse is almost an exact copy of the beautiful United States Commemorative Oregon Trail Half Dollar with the exception of the lettering.

(Better image will replace this one in near future)

The common reverse is showing the Centennial Official Emblem or Seal which also appears on various other so-called dollars minted commemorating the Oregon Centennial.

I do believe it would be good to look on these reverses with smoke coming from the stacks on the left side, as there are some varieties that used a die that have smoke and others that do not have smoke on the various issues. This one has smoke, and I am not sure if there are any of this particular medal that are smokeless.

In 1959, The Exposition and International Trade Fair was held in Portland Oregon from June 10 to Sept. 17, 1959. During that time a wagon train traveled old Oregon Train re-enacting the journey from Independence, Missouri to Independence Oregon, which took four months to complete.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
06/05/2020 5:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - I am saddened to see you go. You inspired me to test the waters in a new collecting arena, and for that I am grateful. Happy collecting trails wherever they take you. Jeff
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Texas State Fair 1949,
an update and a 1946 medal.

Back on 05/11/2020 I posted about a 1949 State Fair of Texas medal I acquired and asked if anyone was familiar with it.

Since that time I stumbled upon (as opposed to dedicated numismatic research) the website of Regional Socalled Dollars and found it listed as item number 150 on the page.

http://www.socalleddollar.com/acRegionalExpos.html

At the same time I acquired the 1949, I also picked up a 1946 which I didn't mention then.

It too is listed on that page as item number 149. Both 43mm.

It is a uniface medal struck on a grey metal which looks to have brass showing through as well as a black paint job perhaps to replicate the effect of enameling. I don't know.

The more I study it I think perhaps it is originally struck on a zinc-coated brass planchet, then the black added.

My example is pretty terrible looking, but the online listing confirms that the black was there originally and that the planchet is brass.

I am delighted that the listing states both are "very rare" whatever that means. Better than common, right? I consider both to be certainly two of my better "finds."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8848 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post of State Fair of Texas medals 999! That site has some real droolers on it! Lots of great info.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
87963 Posts
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted these raw a few weeks ago and it was suggested I get them slabbed. They just came back and needless to say I am very happy with the grades.

Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
H. Troemner 1/2 Drachm Apothecary Weight

Edited by otto
06/10/2020 11:33 am
Learn More...
United States
87963 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I posted these raw a few weeks ago and it was suggested I get them slabbed. They just came back and needless to say I am very happy with the grades.
Excellent!

Quote:
H. Troemner 1/2 Drachm Apothecary Weight
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dar - congrats on the great grades. Those are lovely pieces.

Otto: nice items, I've heard of them used in England before. Is that what these are?
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dar you have some real gem Vulcanites there. Didn't realize they were now included in the cwt series. Sure don't see those very much.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8830 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know much about this one, but it's pretty, and unlike almost every other one I've seen, this one is not holed. The ones I usually come across in the box have a hole to which a black ribbon and loop are attached.

I'm not sure if some of these were purposely struck without the hole, for some reason. There doesn't seem to be much out there in the way of reference material.

It's tricky to photograph because the fields are HIGHLY reflective/prooflike and it exaggerates every single imperfection, but in hand, apart from light marks in the fields due to handling and storage, it's very presentable.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2020  06:48 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paralyse - that has to be the most attractive Jubilee medal I have ever seen.
Learn More...
United States
87963 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8830 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ellis & Co. manufactured a large variety of medals for education and government-issue (city, province) use and presentation, and their medals seem to all be very high quality. Despite the lack of precious metal content, it has a nice "heft" to it at almost 14g. You can tell that some care was taken in striking and engraving as the relief is quite high and well brought up.

From what I can find on Google the same bust with different legends was used previously (in 1887) on a bronze issue, and again in 1898 with a different reverse for an issue struck for teachers in Ottawa. Information is scarce, and a full hour of deep-diving Google and Google Books yielded precious little information apart from a couple of articles in Canadian numismatic journals and period books.

Compared to the cheap white metal and bronze trinkets and souvenirs that flooded Britain at the same time, the quality difference is immediate, and easily noticeable.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
06/11/2020 3:00 pm
Page: of 202 Previous TopicReplies: 3,025 / Views: 156,073Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05