Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,011 / Views: 154,302Next Topic
Page: of 201
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8840 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ben Franklin
Anniversary of Kite Flying
American Commemorative Society 1952
Possibly HK-506c ?

It had to be a "must have" for me to relapse , but this one is rare, probably a small mintage like my Paul Revere American Patriots Series So-Called Dollar issue and they are related to my c.smith So-Called Half Dollar collection.
Note the last sentence I wrote in the Revere post on 2/27/20 . . .
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=182#3161484

Quote:
Charles F. Smith also has issued a Benjamin Franklin Kite medal, I have not seen that but that does interest me.

When I found this Franklin medal, well, It was mine!
This one is not shown on the top of this page but is mentioned in the first paragraph here.
https://so-calleddollars.com/Events...Society.html

This 50mm Bronze medal is uncirculated and appears to include the original box.

This medal was issued by the American Commemorative Society, which was the trade name of Charles F. Smith of Boston MA and is mentioned in the Hibler-Kappen book of So-Called Dollars. It does not have an HK number, but is listed as a product of Charles Smith around 1950-52.

The obverse reads BENJAMIN FRANKLIN/FOUNDER OF AN AMERICAN/ INSTITUTION below a bust of Franklin. 1706 American Patriots Series 1790.

The reverse reads 1752 ANNIVERSARY OF KITE FLYING 1952 AMERICAN COMMEMORATIVE SOCIETY with what appears to be Franklin flying a kite with onlookers. There is lightning in the sky.

The edge is marked HOLLAND (probably struck in Holland as other Charles Smith medals were struck in London) and the artist Dom.Pol is marked in the field on both sides.

The box is marked: from OLD SOUTH ASSOCIATION/Old South Meeting House/Washington St./Boston

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
06/17/2020 7:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Germany Reunification Medal 1989

Pillar of the Community
United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  07:53 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - the detail on this medal is exquisite. I'm sure the 50mm size gave the modeler an opportunity not found with smaller sizes
Coins were meant to be spent.
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8840 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the new Germany Reunification post and thanks jbuckster & 999 for the the compliment.
Still tickled to have found it! No further info yet. I'm sure it is quite scarce.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't looked for much lately but came across this

BELLEVUE OHIO
CHERRY FESTIVAL

medal, made of aluminum. 1-1/2" diameter

PARTNERS IN PROGRESS
with
MAGIC CHEF AIR CONDITIONING

I'll probably put it on my page of aluminums.

United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MvleMO55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG. Love your post from May....my Dad was on CV-3...before and to the finish of the war. Shellback for sure. Thanks for posting 60.
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I haven't looked for much lately but came across this
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3769 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this medal commemorating the 61st Annual Convention State Fireman's Association of Pennsylvania Lewistown Oct. 1-4 1940 produced by the Bastian Brothers Co.

Don't think it is worth much more than a few dollars but I thought it was kind of neat.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe - a very nice medal, congrats.
Page: of 201 Previous TopicReplies: 3,011 / Views: 154,302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05