Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 3,043 / Views: 159,541Next Topic
Page: of 203
Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ORLEANS COUNTY FAIR - reproduction?

I came across this eBay listing and decided to give one a try.
The image from the seller was of a medal only but to my surprise I received one with bow tie as well.

The bow tie has a printing which reads PATENT APPLIED FOR THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO NEWARK, N.J.and includes a "union label" print as well.

The field looks a bit mottled similar to a sandblast finish. The text beneath the cornucopia reads quite clearly WHITEHEAD-HOAG which somehow defies being a cast copy.

Additionally the accoutrements are brand new looking. I cant imagine a copier duplicating these as well.

Is anyone familiar with this item. Last time I looked two sellers were offering this, one my seller.

I have not yet found a satisfactory image of an original.

Coins were meant to be spent.
Edited by 999fine
07/07/2020 1:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1817 Admit - Theater token.

This token is claimed to be from two different places.

Liverpool England #199-O Theatre Token
New York City R# -E-NY-41A Park Theater

The Theatre at New York City token has had an unfortunate cataloguing history. Cataloguers of the British token coinage of the eighteenth century have rejected it as American; cataloguers of early American coins have rejected it as British.

This is one of the earliest American admission tickets, if not the earliest. This is an important token from the early days of American theatres. The catalogues say from Park Theater, but perhaps these tokens were used in more than one theatre.
The famed New York City's Park Theater opened in 1798 and was located on Park Row in New York City, near modern day City Hall on the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge. It became successful in the 1810-1830 period. Acquired in 1805 by John Jacob Astor, it remained in the Astor family's possession until its final days. Consumed in flames several times throughout its history, its ultimate demise was brought about in the 1848 conflagration, after which the Astor family elected not to rebuild it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an absolutely Beautiful Theater Token from Germany

The new theatre finally opened on 12 October 1818 with a performance of Die Weihe by Ferdinand Fränzl. Thus the 180 anniversary would be 1998.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8889 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice additions! Thank you.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3795 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ORLEANS COUNTY FAIR - reproduction?

@999fine - They look OK in my novice opinion. They are in fabulous condition but appear to have some age and I doubt that any faker would go to this level of effort to reproduce the medal, fabric, and paper portion. Whitehead & Hoag Co. is a famous maker of all sorts of campaign buttons, medals, and employee badges -- them and Bastian Brothers had a huge share of the market and then W&H was eventually bought out by Bastian. I go to a lot of estate auctions and it is hard to believe what gets put away in a drawer for 50-60 years and is left in pristine condition despite considerable age.
Edited by Joe2007
07/09/2020 6:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16014 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Country * Tokens * (Canada - Transit Tokens)
1963-1986 Transit Token - British Columbia Electric B.

Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1963-1986 Transit Token - British Columbia Electric B.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8889 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one I don't want to give up until next year and only unless I get a 35 !

34 Great Years happened this month. Worth getting this new medal and posting.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic!

I am just over ten years behind you (24y 6m 25d).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8889 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The BIG 25 is quite the milepost. You'll make it and many more.
Now to figure out the date. Was it January 5, 1996?
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
07/31/2020 10:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Three cheers for TNG and jbuck. I guess I'm a newby coming in at XX at the end of September
Coins were meant to be spent.
Page: of 203 Replies: 3,043 / Views: 159,541Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05