Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 3,127 / Views: 168,807Next Topic
Page: of 209
Learn More...
United States
91001 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My recent acquisition... 2ND NATIONAL AERO CONGRESS DETROIT 1922...
Very nice!

Fun fact... my Grandfather was born in 1922 and was raised in Detroit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FDR Medal - Does anyone know how old this might be or its value?

Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been away from this thread for sometime. A lot of great contributions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9044 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back thisistheshow!

otto, I do believe it is a fairly common bronze medal of one of the more famous presidents and in nice condition. I don't think it is worth very much. I am sure less than $5.00.
You can see the Franklin Mint mintmark off the shoulder of FDR there. While the reverse is different than the FM set I quote, the obverse looks to be common. I am guessing it is from the Shell Oil Co. Possibly from a board game of the Presidents. You probably can find an aluminum version of the same on eBay.
I believe your medal is from 1967 - 1970 and from a Franklin Mint Medals page I quote . . .

Quote:
The Presidents of the United States were among the more popular Franklin Mint subjects, and as a result there was a dizzying array of different sets, including the History of the American Presidency, Presidential Campaign, Presidential Inaugural, White House Historical Association Presidential Medals, Presidential Treasury, and Presidents and First Ladies. And that's just the medals, then there were also several different sets of ingots. This particular set shows portraits of Presidents while they were in office. It was issued in 4 different sizes and 4 different medals, and on behalf of several different companies (American Express and Shell Oil Co) in addition to the Franklin Mint itself. The different issuers usually did their own documentation, so you will see different paperwork with the sets also.

Late update: See this for example 114349535918
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
09/12/2020 9:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG

I really appreciate your info about my FDR medal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9044 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like I was into finding tougher Jefferson Medals last week or so. It was coincidental and unintended that happened they all had a Jefferson theme.

Federal Brand Enterprises Inc.
Silver Thomas and Martha Jefferson Medal.

Deaconess Medical Arts Bldg is now located where the address on the envelope reads 4263 Pearl Rd Cleveland Ohio 44109. Since there is a zip code, the medal has to have been minted after 1963.
Seems like I was into finding tougher Jefferson Medals last week or so. It was unintended that happened they all had a Jefferson theme.

I have seen pamphlets for these that had St Petersburg Florida on them under Cleveland Ohio.
I've found numerous listed all at once but of what was available, Jefferson was the only one that really interested me for the price.

I found a set of 36 of which Nixon was the last issue, innaugurated in 1969 without a second date for end of Presidency on the inserted holder. I have not found any later issues so I will date the set to 1969. It is quite possible this dates sometime from 1969 to 1974 since Nixon was re-elected in 1972 and resigned the presidency on August 9, 1974.
It could be as early as 1965 as some LBJ issues are the last in the sets with a space for the next president who has not been elected yet.
I have found some worthpoint listings that state these are .900 silver and 2,500 of each were minted.
There are bronze sets out there with a reported mintage of 20,000.
My Jefferson medal has 2175 on the rather rough envelope as well as 2175 stamped incuse on the edge of the medal. I'm dating it as 1969.
It is just a tad larger and thicker than a US Quarter at 25.65 mm.
There are the initials H over J below Jefferson's collar.

Odd that Martha Jefferson is shown as "First Lady" since she was not while Jefferson was president.
She served as First Lady of Virginia during Thomas' term as Governor from 1779 to 1781.
Martha Skelton Jefferson (Wayles) Born October 19 or 30, 1748 - Died September 6, 1782) was the wife of Thomas Jefferson.
She was a little over five feet tall, with a lithe figure, auburn hair, and hazel eyes. There are no surviving portraits of Martha Jefferson while she was alive.
She played the harpsichord piano, while Thomas Jefferson played violins. It was said that Martha played very skilfully.
As Virginia's First Lady during the American Revolution, in response to a request from Martha Washington, Mrs. Jefferson led a drive among the women of Virginia to raise considerable funds and supplies for her state's militia in the Continental Army.

1963 Thomas Jefferson - Declaration Signer
Medallic Art Co. 999 Silver Medal

I have both the bronze and silver Jefferson medals now of the Signers of The Declaration of Independence series. The edge number on this one is 5437.

Henry Weil, French sculptor living in New York City founded the Medallic Art Company in 1903.
The Medallic Art Company was originally located in New York and moved to Danbury, Connecticut in 1972, Sioux Falls, South Dakota in 1991, then to Dayton, Nevada in 1997.
In July 2009, Medallic Art Company was purchased by Northwest Territorial Mint.
The Medallic Art Company went bankrupt in 2017.
All of its archives were purchased and currently maintained by the American Numismatic Society, a New York City-based institution dedicated to researching, curating, and educating about coins and medallic arts.
It is all a bit confusing, but today Medallic Art Company is connected in some way to Medalcraft Mint, Inc 2660 W. Mason Street Green Bay, WI 54303
Their website covers historic information with quality images of vintage Medallic Art Co medals.
http://medallic.medalcraft.com/

My third "No Star"
1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition
Official Souvenir So-Called Dollar

Jefferson and Napoleon conjoined busts on obverse.

I have learned that this particular designed medal could be a study in itself. There are gilt bronze, copper, bronze, yellow bronze and silver compositions. Some of those are known to have various ray varieties surrounding the star on the reverse. Some have terrain varieties. I try to "Cherry Pick" any no star issues at low cost. While my three "No-Star" examples are not dazzling uncirculated specimens, they do have a bit of eye appeal to them at best and this one with the exception of some edge roughness has not circulated very much at all and has nice detail. I have a pocket piece in silver and a nice one with a star in bronze to make my cache count at 5 of these so far.
The "No Star" variety is seen far less often than the variety having a star near the point where St Louis is on the map shown on the reverse. I show to compare two reverses here.

Well I hope you enjoyed my newest three Jeffersons.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
91001 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9044 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 39th Different Heraldic Art Medal
(So-called Half Dollar)
1971 First Thanksgiving

Plymouth's Thanksgiving began with a 3-day event in Plymouth in the fall of 1621. A few colonists going out "fowling," possibly for turkeys, but more probably for the easier prey of geese and ducks, since they "in one day killed as much as.served the company almost a week."
Then 90 or so Wampanoag Indians made a surprise appearance at the settlement's gate, doubtlessly unnerving the 50 or so colonists. Over the next few days the two groups socialized without incident.
The Wampanoag contributed venison to the feast, which included the fowl and probably fish, eels, shellfish, stews, vegetables, and beer.
Since Plymouth had few buildings and manufactured goods, most people ate outside while sitting on the ground or on barrels with plates on their laps.

A treaty between the Pilgrims and Wampanoag lasted 54 years until King Philip's War when hundreds of colonists and thousands of Native Americans lost their lives.

The New England colonists were accustomed to regularly celebrating "Thanksgivings," days of prayer thanking God for blessings such as military victory or the end of a drought.
Thanksgiving Day did not become an official holiday until Northerners dominated the federal government.
On October 3, 1863, during the Civil War, Lincoln proclaimed a national day of thanksgiving to be celebrated on Thursday, November 26.
The holiday was annually proclaimed by every president thereafter, and the date chosen, with few exceptions, was the last Thursday in November.

My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
91001 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely addition! The collection is looking fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7617 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  04:57 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got this French tourist token depicting the Arc de Triomphe for 25p from the junk tray at my LCS yesterday. These large brass tokens are made by the Monnaie de Paris and are extensively collected in France. They are sold for 2 euros each at various monuments. I've identified this as a 1998 issue and have seen similar ones selling online for between 4 and 50, so I'm quite happy with my purchase!

Edited by NumisRob
09/27/2020 04:57 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4421 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition Numis
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9044 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob

This is my 40th different Heraldic Art Medal. A bit more scarce issue.
1972 Yellowstone
First National Park
Heraldic Art Medal

In the early 70's I visited Yellowstone National Park after spending about a month living with some Native American cowboys in Broadus Montana. They took us to a wedding with hundreds of Crow Indians.
A party indeed because I woke up next day with hazy recall due to the party in the great outdoors.
My freind and I took an unannounced and unauthorized trip around the US as teenagers. I drove a truck hauling away garbage and returned with fresh water in jugs and he found a part time mechanic job in a garage in that tiny town.
Our boss owned everything in town. Resteraunt, gas station, grocery store and bar. We got ripped off for our pay.
So we pulled out of town and headed to Yellowstone.
I remember Old Faithful and although amazing, it wasn't my favorite. I liked the smell of sulphur in the air. The hot springs and mud volcanos. Blup . . blup . . blup - popping bubbles of mud.
I remember the big waterfall we saw from a lookout. I actually don't recall seeing any bears but I'm sure they were around.
Then it was off to Washington State. Wish I had more interest in General Custer and Lewis & Clark. From Seattle it was all the way down the Pacific Coast to San Diego our furthest point from home in PA. What a neat ride. An awesome summer, but a pretty tight budget.

(The collage in my previous post and images of this medal will update when I take new images soon)
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
09/27/2020 10:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
91001 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9044 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(Sound of Crickets Chirping)

It is pretty quiet here anymore. Thanks for the awesome run folks!
I may have to get a couple medals. LOL

3GmzFMQ2sY8
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
10/08/2020 1:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
91001 Posts
Page: of 209 Replies: 3,127 / Views: 168,807Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05