Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,265 / Views: 184,579Next Topic
Page: of 218
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5080 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a Royal Canadian Mint medal of Prince Charles and Princess Diana from 1983; it was issued to mark the Royal Couple's visit to Canada. It is struck on a 36 mm silver planchet (50% silver, 50% copper) - the same planchet that was being used for Canada's silver dollars at the time.

Many collectors find the depiction of the couple unattractive, but it is actually fairly close to the original source/reference image.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
12/04/2020 2:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
94638 Posts
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the smallest store card ever? Quint & Sons Philadephia. Dates to the 1890s

Learn More...
United States
94638 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9298 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1966 Amelia Earhart SCFC Sterling Silver Medal

Commissioned by the Societe Commemorative de Femmes Celebres. (SCFC)
One of the least encountered in the set of 50 medals struck to honor famous women. I believe that 3,220 of these were minted in sterling silver.

I have a small collection of different Amelia Earhart medals, I believe three are bronze, one in white metal and three are silver.
This tune has "First Lady of the Air" in the lyrics.
Just like the medal is titled.
zRvU7NEdrvU

On June 1 1937 Earhart set out to fly around the world, with Fred Noonan as navigator, in Lockheed Electra.
Starting from Oakland, California to Miami Florida and then down to South America, crossing the Atlantic to Africa, then east to India and Southeast Asia.
Over the following weeks they made various refueling stops before reaching Lae, New Guinea, on June 29.
Earhart and Noonan had traveled some 22,000 miles.
They had just 7,000 more miles to go before reaching Oakland California.

They departed New Guinea on July 2, headed for Howland Island, approximately 2,600 miles away. The flight was expected to be arduous, especially since the small island was difficult to locate. To help with navigation, two brightly lit U.S. ships were stationed to mark the route. Earhart was also in intermittent radio contact with the Itasca, a U.S. Coast Guard cutter near Howland.
Nearing Howland, Earhart radioed that the plane was low on fuel. About an hour later she announced, "We are running north and south."
That was the last transmission received by the Itasca.
The plane was believed to have gone down about 100 miles from the island, and an extensive and expensive search was undertaken to find Earhart and Noonan.
On July 19, 1937, the search was called off. Some believe that she and Noonan crashed after failing to locate Howland, on or just offshore near a different island, perhaps Gardner Island. Others suspect they were captured by the Japanese. Some said she was a spy.
Most experts believe that Earhart's plane simply crashed in the Pacific near Howland after running out of fuel.
I personally believe they had radio trouble and could not find Howland Island, ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean and sank into the deep along with the plane.

That "Disappeared on solo round-world flight 1937" text on the reverse of this medal may not be correct since she did have another occupant, navigator Fred Noonan.
From what I understand, flying "solo" is done without anyone else on board. I could be wrong. I would like to know.

My 1952 Amelia Earhart Topps Look n' See card from my respectable complete 135 card set.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
94638 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great acquisition and card. As always, appreciate the accompanying information.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Channel Islands Exhibition-Isle of Jersey, 1871.

Learn More...
United States
94638 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Channel Islands Exhibition-Isle of Jersey, 1871.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope all of you are well. I have not posted anything in awhile, but this piece definitely fits here. I saw this at the LCS. Paid about spot. It's Longines/Wittnauer. Sterling. I believe 1968, but says 1972 on it. Released as part of a thirty six piece set in cooperation with the National Flag Foundation.

I am sure others have posted from this series, but it is my first. Any other info welcome!

Edited by thisistheshow
12/09/2020 3:54 pm
Learn More...
United States
94638 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9298 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for showing up thisistheshow. You know I like that. Yarm another high quality medal and thanks to all the other recent posters.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG Your post got me re-reading info on Earhart. I honestly have never looked into her too deep other than cursory stuff. It seems there is a lot of implied blame towards her for different reasons regarding her disappearance. I'm talking abut aviaton reasons. Are you familiar with this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up this L.P. Legastelois bronze medal at my LCS. It was in a bin labeled $3. I had seen other works by him and new the price was very good.

It's from the first part of the 20th century and is an advertising piece.

If any of you have suggestions on possible help restoring this a bit, love to hear it.

Thank you.

Learn More...
United States
94638 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I picked up this L.P. Legastelois bronze medal at my LCS. It was in a bin labeled $3.
Fantastic find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9298 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thisistheshow, I wouldn't mess with the Argentina medal, it looks the 110 years old as it should.

As for Amelia, she may have put some pressure on herself to push on unnecessarily. It was the longest and most dangerous leg of her round-the-world trip and she took off at midnight.
There were many stops along the way. A little layover and nap would have been smart.

It doesn't make sense to fly in the dark looking for a very small island to land on in the middle of nowhere.
It seems the main problem was radio communication and they left auxiliary radio equipment behind in New Guinea to lighten the plane. Bad move.

She was like race car drivers, mountain climbers, gunfighters of the old west and bank robbers like Bonnie and Clyde.
It was the "last time" that did them in.

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
12/11/2020 09:30 am
Page: of 218 Previous TopicReplies: 3,265 / Views: 184,579Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05