Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,368 / Views: 199,174Next Topic
Page: of 225
Pillar of the Community
United States
983 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel Thank you for that great write up. Very nice medal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17297 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Verdun - On ne passe pas

Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17297 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada (Canada)
Trade tokens › Local administration token .
1984 Bronte Dollar - Bronte, Ontario.

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some Bullion

Learn More...
United States
99403 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gold beaver is quite stunning.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9522 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done ~ post Verdun!
(Thought I'd revisit mine to add to the recent post.)

1917 Battle of Verdun BRONZE Medal by S.E. Vernier

Here is a medal that was presented in a leather pouch accompanied with a folded certificate to French soldiers. It is a very similar to the medal with a loop and ribbon that was posted on the previous page by erafjel here:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...=221#3398408
That one was to be worn on a uniform.

This one was presented in a leather pouch accompanied with a folded certificate to French soldiers.

This is a more scarce silver medal that is the same size as the bronze one that I have collected.

1917 Battle of Verdun SILVER Medal by S.E. Vernier

At 7:12 a.m. on the morning of February 21, 1916, a shot from a German Krupp 38-centimeter long-barreled gun—one of over 1,200 such weapons set to bombard French forces along a 20-kilometer front stretching across the Meuse River—strikes a cathedral in Verdun, France, beginning the Battle of Verdun, which would stretch on for 10 months and become the longest conflict of World War I.

I believe there were about 143,000 casualties on the Germany side and 162,440 on the French in this battle alone.

World War I Era 1917 France Battle Of Verdun "On Ne Passe Pas" Memorial Medal. Loosly translated, "On Ne Passe Pas" means "We're Not Going", or, more likely "They Shall Not Pass", referring to the German Army.
This battle was so bloody men called it the "Meat Grinder".

This medal was sculpted by S.E. Vernier in 1917. With a reverse text of "Verdun 21 Fevrier 1916", (VERDUN February 21, 1916) this medal measures 37mm (1 7/16 inch) in diameter.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
99403 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
676 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well done ~ post Verdun!

Thank you, @TNG, and all others!

There is a whole range of variants of this medal. Yours are great looking!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17297 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some Bullion

Very nice!
Edited by Dorado
04/12/2021 10:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17297 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Germany 2011 Gold-plated with zirconia, Die D-Mark I'm Wandel in hard plastic case Proof

Edited by Dorado
04/12/2021 11:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9522 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdun medal made me think of Joan of Arc when I first saw it and for the longest time I thought Marianne was representing her. Maybe in a way she is?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
99403 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Germany 2011 Gold-plated with zirconia, Die D-Mark I'm Wandel in hard plastic case Proof
Fantastic!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17297 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Austria 2011 Gold-plated with zirconia, Die D-Mark I'm Wandel in hard plastic case Proof.

Learn More...
United States
99403 Posts
Page: of 225 Previous TopicReplies: 3,368 / Views: 199,174Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05