Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,456 / Views: 217,384Next Topic
Page: of 231
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11984 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am still interested in that series, but other that what came with my C&C sets, I have not really started it yet.

Quote:
There are only a dozen or so US Presidents in history I really care for. Collecting the entire set Spruuuuu will be something to behold.

My knowledge of Presidential history is severely lacking, but these silver medals are simple and to the point and seemed like a set worth putting together. I would love the original peace medals for these guys, but they are way out of my price range!

I'm up to Madison now, so there are only five to go before I'm current and then the John Tyler medal is supposed to come out in August.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...but these silver medals are simple and to the point and seemed like a set worth putting together.
I agree.

At the very least, I may need to get my "fab four" (Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and Reagan) just to have them in that OGP. I already have them from C&C sets and I will eventually get a PCGS Ike for that set.

Quote:
I'm up to Madison now, so there are only five to go before I'm current and then the John Tyler medal is supposed to come out in August.
Excellent!
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 43mm medal commemorates Lord George Anson's voyage around the world from 1740-1744
as well as his victory over the French off Cape Finisterre in 1747. It was produced by L. Pingo
after Lord Anson's death in 1762. Eimer 616, MI ii 634/325.

NGC describes this medal as a restrike but perhaps "dated 1747" would be a better description.

Edited by yarm
07/25/2021 3:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1312 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yarm - you have an exceptional "eye"
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9957 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and impeccable taste.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the color on that Yarm.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a $0.50 coal token from The New River Company in Price Hill, WV. There are a few different denominations but I haven't seen any recent sold $0.50 denominations on the eBay. There is a listing on the token catalog with an updated value of mine but that is all I have seen as far as values go.

From what I understand the coal companies would pay in this type of scrip, have a general store with inflated prices, even rent the homes at the mine. This in fact would not be a very good deal for the miners as the wages would basically stay within the company.

More pictures and descriptions of the mine can be found at the link below.

http://www.coalcampusa.com/sowv/riv...ice_hill.htm

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9957 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tennessee Ernie Ford made it famous but I like Johnny Cash too here with 16 Tons.
tfp2O9ADwGk
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coal company token!
I'm giving that song a listen as soon as I hit post.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gave it a listen. I like it. It is WAY underrated.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG - That song does about sum it up and is perfect for the coal token story!
@Oldfordman - Thank you!
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a $0.50 coal token from The New River Company in Price Hill, WV.
Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11984 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't go looking for this, but came across it when searching for Presidential Peace medals. Though the listing made no mention of it being silver, my research told me it should be and at $16 plus $16 shipping (from Australia) was below melt! Here's a link about it:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ex...a177496.html

The reverse design is neat because it combines the word "peace" in Hebrew, Arabic and English into one central element:

There is a larger (59mm) version with an identical design, but I haven't found any below melt, yet.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9957 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice snag Spruuuuu
A big sterling medal.
Looks like a hot day in the mountainous desert.

47 grams of .925 silver today has a bullion value of $35.43.
Looks like your cost is putting you a few bucks on the profit side.
My favorite album!
Page: of 231 Previous TopicReplies: 3,456 / Views: 217,384Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05