Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,524 / Views: 228,642Next Topic
Page: of 235
Pillar of the Community
United States
1319 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find, congratulations.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
W. & T. Avery Apothecary Weight - Post 1850. The correct weight of 2 drams is ~ 3.544 grams. My scale gives me 7.77. So there's something I don't understand.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
868 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since this is an apothecary's weight, you need to use the apothecaries' dram = 3.888 grams. Quite different from the avoirdupois dram = 1.772 grams.

And a very nice weight it is.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
W. & T. Avery Apothecary Weight - Post 1850.
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, erafjel and jbuck. A bit of corrosion, but a nice pickup for me to add to my other weight.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pop out (repousse) 1902 penny.

Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Heads up! Looks Like a 70% Discount for Conder Collectors...

...and anyone else interested in or curious about the issues, issuers, and economic idiosyncrasies of 18th-century Britain that led to the widespread use and popularity of "the token-coinage."

A fellow exonumismaniac located in the UK sent me this tip earlier this week, but since I stopped collecting that century some 20 years ago I'll be passing on this bargain.

However, in case any CCF members have been bitten by the Conder bug and want to add this to their library, it's marked down dramatically at Oxbow Books in Yorkshire. Good synopsis and review here, at The E-Sylum.

Coinage and Currency in Eighteenth-Century Britain. The Provincial Coinage by David Dykes, 2011, 383 pages, illustrated throughout with tokens, portraits, satirical cartoons, and other historical memorabilia, large format, red cloth, dust jacket.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1835 Commemorative medal by C.M.Mellgren, 41mm. Eric Gustaf Geijer was a Swedish historian, author and composer who became a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1835.

I thought the engraving of the harp with David's hand in front and a rune stone behind was nicely done.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10100 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic additions recently. Thanks for keeping the thread alive and well people.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 4 1/2" bois durci plaque of young Victoria.

https://www.pauljbosco.com/boisdurci.htm
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9607 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Lovely! The portrait seems to be in very high relief. I wonder where it was produced. Although she was of course Queen of England, her titles are usually shown as Queen of the United Kingdom or Queen of Great Britain & Ireland.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6762 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

@yarm: Outstanding piece! Excellent image! Congrats! Thanks for sharing it.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Page: of 235 Previous TopicReplies: 3,524 / Views: 228,642Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: