Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,568 / Views: 235,678Next Topic
Page: of 238
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5316 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A 4 1/2" bois durci plaque of young Victoria.

Wow. Looks like incredibly high relief. Beautiful to boot. Thanks for sharing.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lovely plaque, yarm!
...and leave it to Paul Bosco, huh?

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10248 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1830 Miraculous Medal
Sterling Silver
Front and Back

Found yesterday in a drawer here at home in a roll top desk.

An unusual border on the front. It is cut in such a way to sparkle in the light. I have not seen another like it.
The date does not appear to read 1830 for some odd reason. It looks more like 1820 or 1880 to me.
Incuse stamp on the reverse is an unreadable and crude rectangular area that I do think probably says "STERLING" but may be the result of a deteriorated die.
The date is supposed to read 1830 which is the year that Mary, The Blessed Mother, appeared to St. Catherine Labouré at the Rue de Bac Chapel in Paris France.

When Mary spoke to St. Catherine, she said "Have a medal struck upon this model. Those who wear it will receive great graces, especially if they wear it around the neck. Those who repeat this prayer with devotion will be, in a special manner, under the protection of the Mother of God. Graces will be abundantly bestowed upon those who have confidence."

The design of the medal was seen during the apparition by St. Catherine and the prayer is the wording shown on the front.
The symbolism is correct and easily found searching for 1830 Miraculous Medal.

With approval of the Catholic Church, the first medals were made in 1832 and distributed in Paris. Only ten of the original medals are known to exist, and one of them is housed at the Miraculous Medal Shrine.

Many medals have been made. By autumn of 1834 there were already 500,000 medals in existence. In 1835 there were more than one million worldwide, and in 1839 more than 10,000,000 medals had been distributed. At the time of the death of Sister Catherine, in 1876, there were more than a billion medals.

I do believe this is at least 50 years old and the chain is quite interesting as well. Certainly more than an ordinary variety.
The appearance, weight and feel of this medal and the chain has me convinced it is .925 silver.

An informative link:

https://www.chapellenotredamedelame...aculeuse-gb/

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
11/05/2021 3:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
108392 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1844 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently obtained this Dutch token celebrating 800 years of City Rights of the town of 's Hertogenbosch. The token features the local allegorical character "Gerritje". The reverse shows the city seal.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ex...a117297.html

The token is from a series of four (nickel, bronze, silver, gold). I hope to be able to acquire all four of them as I think they are one of the most beautiful local tokens produced in The Netherlands.
Learn More...
United States
108392 Posts
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A trinket picked up during a delightful vacation?

Learn More...
United States
108392 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a fun token.

While I am no longer actively adding to my collection, I enjoy seeing what others are finding. Jeff
Coins were meant to be spent.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12071 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently received number six in the silver Presidential medals series:

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Learn More...
United States
108392 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recently received number six in the silver Presidential medals series:
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the town of 's Hertogenbosch..... The reverse shows the city seal.

You're probably aware the use of that seal on coins has quite a long history: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces96267.html
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10248 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions to the thread.

1962 circa The Seagram Tower Niagara Falls Token
Bought this at the Coin Club auction tonight for $1.50 just so it would sell because I was the auctioneer for the members. I kinda like it.
I have been there to Niagara Falls Canada side in 1986. I don't remember seeing it though. Most focus is on the falls I suppose.
This was probably used as an elevator token to go to the observation area.

Now this is known as The Konica Minolta Tower in Niagara Falls, Canada. It originally opened in 1962, is located in the Fallsview district, and was the first of the modern observation towers built near the brink of the Falls.
The Tower Hotel was originally called the Seagram Tower, named after the House of Seagram business in Montreal.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1844 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Monument Valley token, 2000.
Will fill the empty hole at the end of my National Park Quarters album nicely.

Learn More...
United States
108392 Posts
Page: of 238 Previous TopicReplies: 3,568 / Views: 235,678Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: