Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,629 / Views: 248,795Next Topic
Page: of 242
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a recent acquisition, but had to share the cart wheel effect on this silver dollar size 1960 US Mint medal (aka "original Ike", President of the United States (POTUS) special Government medal(sGm), or Class 2 POTUS sGm).

Designed by Frank Gasparro. US Mint struck these medals for President Eisenhower's use. This medal is DDE-C2-05, in the organized US Mint medal series, as documented in the book, Authoritative Numismatic Reference: Presidential Medal of Appreciation Series 1958 - 1963, by Darryl A. Gomez 2014.

This medal was initially cataloged as B-898, an individual medal in the book Coins, Medals and Token of the Philippines 1728 - 1974, 2nd Edition, page 158, by Aldo P. Asso, 1975. This book provided a physical description and the note, "These medals were presented by Eisenhower during his visit to the Philippines in 1960." The manufacturer, designer, and mintage were not provided, unlike the 2014 book published research findings.

There are 7 other silver dollar size "original Ikes". The dual torch is the obverse and is common on all 8 Class 2 medals. The reverse design changed base on the needs of the President Eisenhower.

An intriguing US Mint medal series whose members are actual "POTUS numismatic artifacts" manufactured by the US Mint.

Edited by DrDarryl
11/28/2021 5:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, wait til jbuck sees that one. Very cool.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

1830 Miraculous Medal
Sterling Silver
Front and Back

@TNG - I never find stuff like this in my desk drawers! Very interesting and awesome information about it too!
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, wait til jbuck sees that one. Very cool.

Outstanding example, Dr!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally found a
THEODORE ROOSEVELT 150th ANNIVERSARY 3 COIN PROOF SET

No 13 of 100 Sets

This is the second one I have ever seen but the first was on eBay in 2019 and I don't remember what that sold for.
I never saw any singles.
I'm tickled to death about this purchase. It's another one of a handful of odd stuff I had to wait for over the years but if you're looking and patient they do show up eventually.

First I made an offer . . . No response
Then I cancelled and made a higher offer . . . No response
I figured I wouldn't sleep tonight or I'd wake up to somebody else using "buy it now" and kick my butt down the steps all morning for missing out so ~ I BOUGHT IT NOW!

These are hard to find. Some of you may remember me looking.
There are mysterious initials BT on the reverse of these Roosevelt 28 mm medals on the ribbon.

One copper, weight unknown, one 7.8 gr 999 silver and one 8.2 gr 22KT or .917 gold
Gothic, a member here discovered a gold and silver Paul Revere set and pointed me to it. https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...c-954481fb4e

The mystery of the BT initials is pondered in this thread on my Paul Revere 1/4 oz silver medals. We don't know who BT is.
There are two other links in that post for my 1st and second Paul Reveres. In all, I have 5 and never saw any others.
Obviously these Roosevelts are produced by the same mint. Wherever that is. Maybe a clue will be in the literature.

http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=62#2779071

My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1331 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - sounds like a stunning acquisition. Alas no pics for me today or yesterday. :(
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second Dutch token in the series celebrating 800 years of City Rights of the town of 's Hertogenbosch, which I acquired recently, is the 2 Gerritje Bronze coin. This token features the "Marskramer" ("The Wayfarer"), a well-known painting by local famous artist Hieronymus Bosch. The reverse of the coin shows the city seal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wayfarer
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I probably shouldn't point this out but . . .

What is that guy doing by the fence in back of the house?
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

TNG, according to the Wikipedia article NumisEd linked to, the answer to your query is "debauchery."

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, ya learn something new every day. I looked it up.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The second Dutch token in the series celebrating 800 years of City Rights of the town of 's Hertogenbosch, which I acquired recently, is the 2 Gerritje Bronze coin.
Excellent!

Quote:
the answer to your query is "debauchery."
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The third Dutch token in the series celebrating 800 years of City Rights of the town of 's Hertogenbosch is the 10 Gerritje Silver coin. This token features the cathedral of the city on the obverse while the reverse of the coin shows the city seal.

The only token left in the series is the 100 Gerritje Gold coin which seems very hard to locate.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1128 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What is that guy doing by the fence in back of the house?

I didn't notice that.
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was smitten by this piece in the recent DNW sale. Maria Theresa, 1744 silver jeton by J.C. Roettiers, 26mm, 4.54g.

Page: of 242 Previous TopicReplies: 3,629 / Views: 248,795Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: