Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,629 / Views: 248,801Next Topic
Page: of 242
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  12:51 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a special holiday grouping I'm posting in gratitude to our moderator, jbuck. I came across these oddities, which could perhaps be categorized as "fantasy coinage," as I was searching my old boxes of "British World" tokens for something else entirely for another forum member. (Still digging, David!)

Buck Island is a privately owned 43-acre tourist destination located a stone's throw off the southeast coast of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. There are at least two other Buck Islands in the Caribbean, but this is the only Buck Island that ever issued coins or tokens, to my knowledge.

At 38mm, the nickel-alloy 1-Buck token approximated the US silver dollar in size, and my gold-toned half-buck corresponded to the US half-dollar. They were struck in 1958 (undated) and 1961 and circulated in the Island's commerce -- probably as bar chits, in the main -- at par with the US dollar. They of course couldn't be spent anywhere else, so the majority of the total issue of about 10,000 pieces likely ended up as souvenirs in the pockets and purses of homebound vacationers.

The Greek letter Xi located between the buck's horns is said to be the Buck sign, analogous to the familiar monetary symbols $, , , etc. The obverse legend "Eirene" derives from the Greek and means "Peace," and that's the connection to our holiday season. The topographical map of the island on the reverse is flanked by precise latitude and longitude bearings, which must have helped sailors to avoid navigating to the wrong Buck Island!

Happy Holidaze to all!
Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a special holiday grouping I'm posting in gratitude to our moderator, jbuck.

Those are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them along with the write-up.
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  01:55 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My pleasure, jbuck!

NOW do I get an invitation to your island?

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NOW do I get an invitation to your island?
Yes! Just show up whenever you want. The code word is Rochambeau.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 Paul Revere
Bicentennial Operation Alert
Bronze Medal

I can't find any information on this particular program
"Bicentennial Operation Alert"
I do remember the year quite well and was in the US Navy at the time and home for the 4th of July.

Not the most valuable of medals although I think I did pretty good on it.
I collect Paul revere medals so it's a nice addition.
One seller on eBay has one for sale at $1550.00 223843481875
For fun, I had it in my watched items list and they sent me a significantly lower offer of $600.00

I bought this one from another seller for "Make an Offer" of $5.50.
That was a great deal as they get a bit more, maybe 2x-4x more as a rule.
I declined the $600.00 offer and told that seller I found another.

Originally found mounted on a holed card in a plastic sleeve with display base.
The text on the card reads:

1976 Commemorative Medal
Bronze
Limited Edition

Marcel Jovine, Sculptor
Minted by Medallic Art Company

(on the other side)

In recognition of your
generous support to the
BICENTENNIAL
OPERATION
ALERT

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
705 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While reorganizing my collection I came across this:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
Pillar of the Community
United States
4773 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what to call this token, it's from the Conder token era but it is a small (just under 20 mm) silver 6 pence token instead of the usual copper half penny or penny type thing.

Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
chrsmat71 wrote: "I'm not sure what to call this token..."

What you've got there is an 1811 sixpence token from Hull in Yorkshire, and what we call it is "D17," per the 1922 Dalton catalog that remains the "bible" for the whole silver token series of 1811-12. The entire catalog is available online here.

Here's the citation for your token in Dalton:

Appearing above your D17 in that blurb is an Eighteen Pence (18d) token, one of five varieties struck. (There was only the single 6d variety.) Here's one of my 18d's, a D15:

Aren't those denticles great? The only other example of rims like that to be found in the Regency Period silver series is the Stamford 18d shown in my 9/11/21 post in this very forum. While not considered part of that series, the 1811-12 "armoured bust" 18d and 3/- tokens issued by the Bank of England also featured these cool denticles.

For the record, the drapers and haberdashers Charles Rudston and George Preston ran their businesses out of three shops on Market Street in Hull, where they trafficked in woolens, linens, silk, and hats.

Happy New Year, everybody!
Tom

A for us all!

Edited by daltonista
12/31/2021 5:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
both sixpence token posts
Liberty Silver Round
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4773 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much daltonista for that info and the book reference/ Man,that token of yours is just gorgeous! Hope everyone has a great '22!
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FiveDollarFever to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful stuff in here! I don't normally go for medals, but I can't pass up a good deal either and this full set was $40. Produced to celebrate the national bicentennial by the Medallic Art Company. I found the original prices and thought they were interesting, considering spot was hovering around $4.25 in 1976. For ref the ASW of the set is 6.1oz of .999 silver.

2" high relief silver $80
fine silver $25
24 k gold vermeil on silver $30
Proof bronze $10
antique bronze $3

Sorry you can only see the centre medal, my resolution was too high so I had to crop....Rookie move I know!

Have a good weekend Y'all.
Edited by FiveDollarFever
01/08/2022 2:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1331 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My medal activities have been rather dormant other than enjoying the finds posted here.

I did succumb to temptation on this Coca Cola token before the holidays.
It looked like it had seen better days with signs of cleaning, but it was cheap :)

This is a fairly common item, copper plated from what I can tell.
The reference to "Betty" on the obv is of "Betty Boop".
I have read she was an advertising icon for Coke in the early-mid 1900s.

I can always use it as a pocket piece except that I no longer bother carrying change in my pocket.

Happy hunting/shopping everyone.

Coins were meant to be spent.
Edited by 999fine
01/08/2022 4:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That medallion of yours, 999fine -- it's Boop-A-Licious!

Page: of 242 Previous TopicReplies: 3,629 / Views: 248,801Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: