Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rhodes AR Diobol, magistrate Thrasymenes  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3954 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Always had a fondness for the Rhodian depiction of Helios on their coins!

Caria, Rhodes
AR Diobol
Magistrate Thrasymenes (170-150 BC)
Facing radiate head of Helios, slightly turned right
Rose within incuse square; bud to right, rising sun to left, THRASYMENES above

I'm beginning to understand the attraction to these classical Greek coins... just look at the 3D rendition of the design elements!

Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Edited by Finn235
12/06/2017 2:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm liking the ancient Greek coins too!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10571 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You needed a strong smack to bring up those details.
Learn More...
United States
20370 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your on a roll Steve, you have been picking up really nice coins lately.
Valued Member
Spain
411 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a really nice coin

Quote:
I'm beginning to understand the attraction to these classical Greek coins

Does that mean we'll see you posting more Greek coins
Edited by Palouche
12/06/2017 02:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice coin and one I tried to buy at a good price for quite a while. In the end I did get a Rhodes coin but not as nice as yours (I like how your rose is inside an incuse square) as well as your portrait, which always reminds me of the statue of liberty with the striations around it.

I am with you on the Greek coinage, I think in terms of beauty it repeatedly comes up trumps. Congrats on the addition of a must have coin ^^
Edited by DavidUK
12/06/2017 03:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3954 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! I didn't plan to keep this one originally, but it has grown on me... we'll see whether it earns a permanent spot in the collection though!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
823 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

AR drachme , 15 mm , 2.8 gr , 11 h .
obv : radiate head of Helios right
rev : rose within incuse square , right bud , left a stick between P (rho) and O : Rhodos ., ARISTOBOULOS above .
ref : Jenkins,Gruppe A,10 .
period : 188 - 177 BC.
@Finn : Rhodes is situated just off the coast of Caria . His coins are under Caria .
For me , Greek coins are the most beautiful , especially the coins from South Italy and Sicily . albert

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3954 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoops! I guess I had Thrace on my mind yesterday! Fixed the error, thanks Albert!

I have always liked the Thracian issues with Sol in profile, too!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05