Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

All Aboard! Railroad Stocks & Bonds

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 193 / Views: 11,891Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed a clever Easter egg on that vignette. ABNC tucked their copyright into a very discreet place -- can anyone spot it?
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HA! YUP! Was that a common thing for them to do?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8414 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see it!
I'm kinda surprised, that would mean B&M didn't own the image on their certificate?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM - I am not very good with steam locomotives, so I can't say "YUP, the B&M ran those locos"... BUT it was probably a lot more common to have generic vignettes of steamers than the later diesels (like the MEC one I shared). THEN AGAIN, if the art was indeed created for the B&M, WOULD ABN retain the rights?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those with older eyes, here's a close-up:

Quote:
I'm kinda surprised, that would mean B&M didn't own the image on their certificate?

American Bank Note owned the printing plates and intellectual property rights for nearly everything they produced. In fact, the two male figures that flank the locomotive pop up in dozens of other stocks and bonds. I'm pretty sure I've seen the train used elsewhere, too. Sometimes a company paid extra to commission a special engraving that could only be used on their stocks/bonds. But even then, ABNC would retain the copyright, since they created the work.
Edited by GregAlex
03/06/2021 5:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For those with older eyes, here's a close-up:
Thank you!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mforder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All,

My name is Mark. I a new to the coin side of this but I figured why not join since some of the things I have in the "Steele Box" pertain to this forum as we.

If you want to read more about the box please see my introductions... http://goccf.com/t/396718

I know this is not much but it is one of the many items that came from the box itself. Looks like bonds on the back of a lithographers business card.

Edited by mforder
04/03/2021 11:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a pretty fancy business card! It looks about the size of a postcard -- what are the actual dimensions?
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mforder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi GregAlex,

The card measures about 2.5" by 4.5".

---Mark
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several very nice railroads arrived in the station today.
My favorite has to be the Wilmington & Northern bond. So many nice features especially in the upper left corner (note the little RR lamp) and two beautiful locomotive vignettes.

The other two also have very nice locomotives.

Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YUMMY!!!
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 193 / Views: 11,891Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05