Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

All Aboard! Railroad Stocks & Bonds

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, GregAlex.

I don't know much about railroad history. My grandfather built rail cars in Chicago Sadly I don't even know how long he worked at that job.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6125 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Nells - sorry, been out of town and just saw your post. I think you need 50 posts to send an email. You are close!

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2018  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking vignette.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United States
6125 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2018  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know a Pennsy cert. has been posted, but this is my only one, so I am posting:

Closeup of company seal:

Interesting how the PRR Mercury (upper right of stock marquee) collects winged dimes:
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2018  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great posting Earle.
Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2018  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting how the PRR Mercury (upper right of stock marquee) collects winged dimes:
Nice!
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pennsy has the Horseshoe Curve on it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6125 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2018  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Pennsy held a record of paying dividends to shareholders for over 100 years - no other company worldwide has ever done this. The PRR had a quarter million employees and a budget larger than the US government. They had over 800 RR companies under them.

Something I like is the Pennsy also was the only RR company who designed their own style of insulators for use on their lines! Other companies had ready-made designs embossed with their names, but the Pennsy was used to setting a standard.

The pic includes a set of all known colors. All but the aqua and blue are rare. Typical Porcelain ones are dark brown.

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2018  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great added history Earle. Excellent tie in to another very fascinating collectible item.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2018  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My grandfather built rail cars in Chicago Sadly I don't even know how long he worked at that job.

Buddy, did your grandfather happen to work for Pullman? They had a huge factory south of Chicago building passenger cars.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6125 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2018  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks scopru - if anyone is interested in a three part magazine concerning the Pennsy (quite a bit of historical data and pics) and its insulators, PM me and I will send the PDFs.

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2018  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nells, you posted a Berkshire Railroad Co. stock earlier that shares the same vignette as one I have of the Delware Railroad.

This is also a good example of what's known as a "Blank." The major bank note printers would print these in quantity, minus the specific text for the individual company. This could be added later and it saved money for smaller print runs.

Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2018  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buddy, did your grandfather happen to work for Pullman? They had a huge factory south of Chicago building passenger cars.

Yes! He came to the US from Slovakia sometime around 1900. There were a lot of Slovaks in Chicago so that's where he went. I don't know what years he worked there, though. He was retired by the time I was old enough to form memories. I don't recall him ever speaking English.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2018  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tonight some railroads without trains. Not all companies decided to use locomotives on their stocks and bonds. Here are some attractive designs that decided to mix it up a little.

This last vignette (entitled "Harvest") is intriguing because it's actually signed by the engraver, Walter Shirlaw, in the lower right. Some engravers his their names surreptitiously, but this one is fairly prominent.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05