Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Smallest Micro-Printing Ever?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 5,793Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting Greg!
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a couple examples in the Railroad thread showing how American Bank Note cleverly tucked their copyright into discreet spots in their vignettes. Here are three more examples. The type is so small to begin with, you barely notice these unless you look for them.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8259 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like how the early Colonial notes were using anti counterfeiting techniques.

Benjamin Franklin printed money for Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware and beginning in 1739, in efforts to throw off counterfeiters, Franklin would deliberately misspell Pennsylvania on the bills. With the idea at the forefront that any person attempting to recreate the new currency would believe the real bill was a fake, they would then correct the spelling on their phony money.

To further protect the integrity of the new paper currency, Franklin had lead casts made of actual leaves, which he used to print the said foliage's' image onto the back of the bills. The leaves also contained finely detailed copper engravings of the intricate veins in leaves chosen for this revolutionary idea. His ingenious creation was not discovered until the 1960's when a historian stumbled across the information and shed light to the public.

Not quite micro-printing of words, but in a similar vein! Those little veins were awfully tiny for a printer to pull off in the 1700's.

I know the older $100 used micro-printing around the portrait of Franklin, the current $20 has some micro-printing just to the left of Jackson's shoulder in the frame. I'm sure there are many current uses today, but to get print that was legible and that small in the 1700-1800's is pretty amazing! Some neat vignettes shown.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Learn More...
United States
102132 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 5,793Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05