Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

European Shares And Bonds (Non-u.s.)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2017  8:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For the most part I collect stocks and bonds from North America. The reason being that I appreciate the steel engravings on many of them. This grew from the requirement by the New York Stock Exchange that any certificate traded there had to be high quality engraving to prevent counterfeiting.

European markets did not place this restriction on their stocks and bonds, and so the majority of them were printed lithographically, which was less expensive.

I don't own many, but there were a few of these foreign (to me) certificates that I picked up over the years, usually for the graphic design or the type of company. I thought I'd post a few here and perhaps a few forum members will add more.

The cacao fruits on this bond of a chocolate maker appealed to me.

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2017  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are also a few I liked for their historical aspects. I have two German bonds; the first from 1919 just prior to the hyperinflation period that rendered it worthless. This economic collapse eventually led to the rise of the Nazi Party and WWII. The other German bond is from 1953, and the vignette (this one is engraved) shows gloomy post-war ruin to the right and the sunshine of prosperity on the left, thanks to the ingenuity of a handsome Aryan engineer.

I also have a couple Czarist Russian bonds, issued prior to the Revolution. I can't read Russian, so I have no idea what company or government entity issued these. The first, from 1910, had annual interest coupons on the back. The last payment appears to be in 1916; the following year the Bolsheviks took power and, again, these securities became worthless. A lot of Russian refugees clung to the hope that they would eventually be redeemed, which is probably why so many survive today.

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2017  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll tack on another non-U.S. bond, though it's not European. I like this one for the vignette.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are very nice looking. And the vignette on the Columbia bond is very beautiful.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And the vignette on the Columbia bond is very beautiful.
I agree.
Learn More...
Canada
8654 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are beautiful...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found a couple more. South-Eastern Gold Mining, Ltd. was a British company, but it's unclear where the mine was actually located. And the Concordia bond appears to be for a Romanian petroleum company.

Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The German bonds are interesting! The first one, a Berlin City bond issued in 1919 still uses the old Imperial seal.(as did some of their coins) The second is an extension or revalidation of what was a 1930 issued international gold bond in dollars!
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Russian bonds are also interesting in that anyone foolish enough to try and cash them in during the Soviet era would have been viewed as unpatriotic Capitalists which would have been hazardous to their health.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10103 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome bonds. I can see an office or board room with walls covered by these works of art.

Very nice.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most European bonds were lithographs, which were less expensive to print than intaglio (engraved) bonds that traded on the NYSE. But there are some incredibly lavish foreign bonds from the Art Nouveau era that put U.S. bonds to shame, artistically.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
442 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi folks.
I've had this for a couple of years, it is a soviet loan certificate/bond I think.
On the reverse are the loan interest rates.
Only bought it because of the industrial scene on it which I thought looked cool.

Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful item Scots
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Soviet bond, SG! Thanks for posting that.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05