Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Running Thread Of Chafemasterj's Counterstamped Lincoln Cents...

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,832 / Views: 125,769Next Topic
Page: of 123
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure thing Coinfrog. The year was probably 1977 when we moved into our new house. I was 6 or 7 at the time. The real estate lady gave me a 1976 plated counter stamped LMC in a jewelry box. I had collected pennies already and thought that this gift was the coolest thing ever. It was a fairly common counter stamp of the Liberty Bell on the left and an outline of the USA on the right.

This is not the exact one because it's not plated.

Once I had this counter stamp in my possession and I knew that such a thing existed I hit up my LCS and found several others. I took several years off collecting in general but rediscovered it in my early teens and added to my collection. The rest is history.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
108363 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The real estate lady gave me a 1976 plated counter stamped LMC in a jewelry box. I had collected pennies already and thought that this gift was the coolest thing ever
Excellent origin story!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as seeing other 20th century coins counter stamped not so much. There are a couple of EBay sellers that have a variety of stamps and stamp nickels and quarters but I don't think they sell very many. They just aren't as common.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7660 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the history! You never know where it will go when you give a student a coin! I recently gave some of the local kids an Ike dollars and Kennedy half each. Its fun to see the fascination in their eyes.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64338 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great history, thanks. This dedication seems unrivaled as far as I know.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Skull and Crossbones - Jolly Roger counter stamp. . .

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Christmas Bells counter stamp. . .

Pillar of the Community
United States
7660 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NIce ones!
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pressed Masonic LMC. I've seen this design before but smaller. I know that it's obviously a Triangle, Trowel, Sword and I cant make sense of the rest of it. The tip of the sword seems to bend with the triangle and wraps around the tip of the trowel. Must signify something.

The obverse appears to say ROGER GAUL-MIGM_2004. With a triangle that has a side interrupted with a bend inwards.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968-D Eastern Star Masonic Counter Stamp. I've had larger versions of this symbol before but this tiny version seemed to put more effort into the details (Though there is no way to see the details). . .

I found an excellent website called Symboldictionary.com but it was not a secure site. I copy and pasted the pertinent information for the Eastern Star:

Quote:
The emblem of the female Masonic organization, the Order of the Eastern Star. The symbol is a complex one, and is said to represent the Star of Bethlehem, symbolizing the descent of spirit into matter- the divine in man, or even the presence of God on earth.

Its appellation also implies a relationship with the planet Venus, also called the "eastern star." Each point on the star has an emblem of a different biblical heroine (Adah, Ruth, Esther, Martha, and Electa) and the qualities they represent- fidelity, constancy, loyalty, faith, and love. The initials "F.A.T.A.L." found on some are said to stand for the phrase, "Fairest Among Thousands, Altogether Lovely," a reference from the Song of Songs, although also an apt description, perhaps, of some of the biblical heroines above. OES founder Rob Morris alluded several times to a cabbalistic meaning of the motto, but never fully elaborated it- at least not in any surviving works.

The book and pillar in the center of the star represent the Masonic Lodge's "volume of sacred law" which is placed in the east. The five implements typically pictured represent the five biblical women and their respective representation of Masonic virtues:

The sword and veil represent Adah, and the virtue of "obedience to duty"

A sheaf of barley represents Ruth, whose virtue is adherence to religious principles.

The crown and scepter represents Esther, who embodies the virtue of loyalty.

The broken column represents Martha, and the virtue of "endurance in trial."

The "golden cup" represents Electa, and the virtue "endurance of persecution."

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64338 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your passion for these is positively inspiring.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your passion for these is positively inspiring.

Thank you Coinfrog. That means a lot.
Learn More...
United States
108363 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  06:25 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A unique mounted 1952-D LWC. The piece of steel that it is mounted in in ~1/4" thick. . .

I mentioned that I thought this may have been made to use as a pocket piece in another post on "Masonic coins, tokens and counter stamped pennies".

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
19217 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A unique mounted 1952-D LWC.

Very nice!
Page: of 123 Previous TopicReplies: 1,832 / Views: 125,769Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: