Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

It Finally Happened! Follow-up Question

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1385 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2018  9:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few days ago I posted about finding an IHC in change (see; "It finally happened!").

My question is, What are the chances that this cent has been in circulation ever since it was minted (in either 1885 or 1886)? In other words, do you think it's likely that it's been in circulation ever since, or do you think it's more likely that it was in someone's collection and then at some point they turned it loose?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was recently added to circulation without a doubt. And probably bounced from only 2 to 4 hands-max before it landed in yours.
Learn More...
United States
15313 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many people would have easily identified that this coin was different and salted it away rather than spending it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
7661 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2018  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seed my Lincoln roll hunting returns with old IHC's before I go to the bank.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2018  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most definitely was not in ciculation that entire time. Regardless how it got back to circulation, it is a nice find
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10565 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It may not necessarily have been in a "collection", but surely spent much of its life stashed in one place out of circulation until recently.
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1385 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow--these are really terrific insights. Just wondering how everyone is pretty sure that it hadn't been in circulation the whole time? In addition to Spence's perceptive comment, why would that necessarily be unlikely?
Edited by jpsned
01/09/2018 09:35 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12921 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you really think a coin can go undetected for 133 years .
Virtually impossible . If the date was not clearly visible then a collector might have thrown it back into the wild .

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1879 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with T-Bop
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also with the majority here that the coin was recently added to circulation. For years I have "salted" a few common date Indians and many more wheaties back into circulation. T
I do this to generate interest in the hobby. My hope is that some young potential numismatic will find one or two and the rest will be history.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1673 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm wondering whether the term "in circulation" is too vague. I'm at work right now and there is a quarter in my office desk. Is it in circulation? Would all of those Sacagawea dollars sitting around in people's houses right now (e.g., in drawers, in jars) be considered "in circulation" or not? Perhaps "in circulation" means the total set of coins at a given moment that are in a bank, a purse, or cash register/machine.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45948 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree for sure this has only recently been returned to the wild.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An IHC can't go that long in circulation without being noticed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been known to release IHC's, Buffalo's, Shield nickels, Mercury dimes and proof coins as well as a whole lot more into circulation just so someone can find something "neat".
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2018  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Likely" and "in circulation" are two rather nebulous elements in this discussion. I'll take a contrary opinion and say that it's more "likely" than a lot of people think, that this coin floated around not explicitly being in anyone's "collection" all this time. It is very very _unlikely_ that you will find one in your change any time soon, but that doesn't mean this particular one wasn't one of the few left out there. There are 300+ million people in this country and untold billions of cents knocking around. The majority of people see a round brown thing that's worth one cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10565 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2018  04:00 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many people are trained by experience or by advice to look for Wheat cents.

How could all of those people simply ignore an entirely different looking coin?

130+ years in circulation? I don't buy it.
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05