Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What do you consider to be expensive for a coin?  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually $1,500 hundred purchases are normally a no brainer. That's the level I feel most comfortable with. $2,000 purchases still make me feel like my underwear is a couple sizes too small.

Everyone has a comfort level/price point that they feel comfortable with paying for any one given coin. Mine would be in the 1,000 to 1,500 range for high end coin purchases.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week. In the meantime, you can watch my progress on this thread: http://goccf.com/t/287788
Edited by MikeF
01/14/2018 01:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6767 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  01:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
$2,000 purchases still make me feel like my underwear is a couple sizes too small.

"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Slovenia
452 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dagaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My top buy was about 150 € for a coin (gold). However my comfort zone lies around 40 €. Anything above it, I really think it through. And there's the metal factor: for some reason, I hesitate to pay, let's say 20 € for a copper coin, but 40 € for a silver one seems totally normal to me.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel uncomfortable paying more than $100 for a single coin. Which is why I haven’t completed a single Mercury set yet. The 16D and the over dates are more that I want to spend, even though with proper planning I can afford them. We’ll see what the next few years brings.

Of course, my brothers still think I have the first dollar I earned - 45 years ago!
Learn More...
United States
55950 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course, my brothers still think I have the first dollar I earned - 45 years ago!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1359 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have the first dollar I've ever earned, but I do have the first dollar I've ever bought, so that's something I guess.

I'll spend $5,000 on a coin once a year or so, adding a coin at one of the FUN or Long Beach show auctions. I once had to spend over $10,000 on a coin to finish the Standing Liberty quarter set and it really gave me pause. I don't plan on ever doing that again.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me being 15 years old, I consider anything over $100 expensive.
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1445 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ploopy I am not 15 and $100 is still expensive to me
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
55950 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't have the first dollar I've ever earned, but I do have the first dollar I've ever bought, so that's something I guess.

I sill have the first two dollars that started my coin collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I don't consider it a lot of money when I actually have money in my wallet, but when I'm broke even a $5 coin seems expensive
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  02:07 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a tough question. "Expensive" can be quite the relative term... When I was young, I considered anything over $25 expensive. Today, anything over about $100 would be expensive to me. I've only breached that barrier about 15 times. I've crossed $500 twice.
CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6767 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  03:14 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Same here! Everyone has their specific personal financial situation and it dictates purchases to a major degree. It takes all of us to make the Community.

For instance, I can't afford Capped Bust half-dollars, but where would I be if no one else could and no one posted them on CCF for grading, authenticity and questions?

I think we are all benefiting.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
01/17/2018 03:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6233 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Expensive is whatever amount your personal financial situation dictates.

I believe that most of us would agree that 'too expensive' is any purchase (coins or otherwise) that has a negative impact on your ability to meet your other financial obligations.

The general trend in life is that as we age and accumulate wealth, the yardstick for expensive adjusts accordingly.

Purchases of all types that at an earlier age were a cause for pause become easier ... which is why we eventually can afford a college education, to purchase a house and cars, etc.

When I started collecting at age 7 on a paper route budget ... expensive was any coin over about $2.

Somewhere in my 30's as I picked up the hobby again ... expensive was somewhere in the $100 range.

Now in my mid-50's the yardstick has again adjusted accordingly.

I suggest that wherever you are in this continuum of financial life it's not about the price of the coin but the amount of enjoyment you receive from the hobby at whatever level you can afford to participate at the time.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
01/17/2018 04:55 am
Learn More...
United States
55950 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe that most of us would agree that 'too expensive' is any purchase (coins or otherwise) that has a negative impact on your ability to meet your other financial obligations.
Well said.
Valued Member
Indonesia
188 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Check Guybrush's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Guybrush to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being 18 and in a developing country, it may take me more than a month to buy a $30 coin.

$32, $26, and $15 (converted to USD) are the purchasing price of my most expensive coins.
"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey coin!"
-Guybrush Threecoins.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05