Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1832 Province Of Nova Scotia Halfpenny  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
556 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's my latest token pickup. It seems like a solid coin however it's had a cleaning in the past but the patina seems intact being a rich even chocolate brown with the coin in hand.
The rims appear solid with very few rim nicks if any and it does have the engrailed edge.
The legends very nice they are strong and bold with very few nicks.
I'm not sure of all the varieties for these, I think this is the even ribbons variety and I'm hoping for a EF grade to make sense of what I paid.
Opinions on variety and grade would be awesome? TIA

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1285 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts --very nice clean coin VF20-30
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2028 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything is there, solid 40 imho.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3192 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it just makes XF, and that old cleaning may not end up counting against it.

Colligo ergo sum
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24449 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm hardly an expert on such a thing, but I'd say VF-35. Beautiful example and congrats!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1294 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30. Nice eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
794 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialtokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concerning your 1832 halfpenny Nova Scotia token:

I concur with the grade of XF-40. I believe this token to have been properly cleaned years ago and has since re-toned. On such tokens of this era one would expect to see 'crud' within the devices. Absolutely no curd is detectible on your token. This proper cleaning should not affect or detract from they value of the token.

This series, along with the Habitants, New Brunswick's, and St. Georges were expertly manufactured and exhibit an abundance of detail.

Of this series, Dr. Courteau identified some thirteen different sub-varieties. Charlton separates this series into four primary groupings dependent upon the configuration of the 'ribbons' on the obverse. Charlton's NS-1D1 is described as engraile, and having the left ribbon longer of which Courteau identifies as Co. 265 (sole ensample). Charlton's NS-1D2 is also engrailed and is described as having the right ribbon longer. This grouping encompasses Courteau varieties 266. 267, 268, 269, 270, and 271. Charlton identifies NS-1D2a as the same as Charlton's NS-1D2, but having a plain edge. This is a pricy variety and is identified by Courteau as variety 272a. Charlton's NS-1D3 is identified as engrailed and having the ribbons of equal length. This grouping encompasses Courteau varieties 272, 273, 274, 275, and 176.

The ribbons of your token are of equal length, thus of the NS-1D3 grouping.

Courteau 272 is identified as 'the two upper locks are thin, disconnected and almost straight, the middle is closer to the lower one, the leaves near bow show all, but the upper one is disconnected from knot.' On your token, the upper leaf is joined to the knot.

Courteau 272a is identified as 'The two lower locks are long, the middle is longer on this than on any other of the series, and comes very close to the letter o. This is not your variety either.

Courteau 273 is identified as 'The two upper locks are short and thick, and distant from lower one; the central leaf near bow is partially hidden by adjacent ones' This is a possible contender.

Courteau 274 is identified as 'The two upper locks are plain, the middle is the smallest, almost straight, and closer to lower one; the leaves near bow are all visible and well connected to the knot; narrow ribbons of equal length. A single hair forming an upward curve under the lower lock is peculiar to this variety.
Thus far variety 274 appears as the strongest contender.

Courteau 275 is identified as 'The locks on forehead are equally distant and the middle one forked; central leaf partially overlaps others, the ribbons are the same length, but the deft is detached and terminates in an outward curve.'

Finally, Courteau 276 is identified as 'The two lowest locks are large, the upper one is mall and weakly struck, almost inperceptible; the three locks near bow entirely show, and are well connected to know; the ribbons are of equal length and narrower than on any other of the series.

Weighing all the evidence, you token appears to be Courteau variety 274, having a rarity factor of 1 (common).

doug

Pillar of the Community
Canada
556 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks to all for the assistance on the grading and a special thanks to Doug for.the ID information, it’s greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Bill
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10458 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever Doug tells you on tokens, take it as gospel.
True North
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05