Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just how rare are Morgans with chop marks  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
686 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  07:32 am Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Happy Saturday Everyone!

I was just curious to see how rare Morgan dollars with chop marks are. I know that they were undersized compared to the standard 8R / Trade Dollars, and consequently far fewer of them made the intl rounds through Chinese merchants, who obviously wanted full size coins. But some had to have made it into those networks too. Just curious if any of the CCF members have come across many. (I will admit that I'd love an 1882 chop marked Morgan, but have never heard of one).

Cheerio and Toodaloo
My hoard of '82s is up to 129! 18 BC x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 1, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 3, 1182 x 7, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 4, 1582 x 9, 1682 x 10, 1782 x 33, 1882 x 35, 1982 x 18
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1914 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that you mention it, I have only seen 8 reales with chop marks, although I have not looked much for chop marked coins. I suppose that I have seen 5 or 6 of them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14025 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would expect Morgans with actual chopmarks to be rather scarce to rare. The large silver coins, 8 reales, trade dollars, Seated dollars etc circulated in China based on the weight of the silver, not on a tale basis, so by the mid to late 1880's the Morgan dollars would have passed in China at around 50 cents apiece. If you could spend them in China for 50 cents or bring them home and spend them for a dollar which would you do? That was why the trade dollars started coming back to the US from China, until 1876 they could be spent here for a dollar, but their trade value as silver in China had dropped to about 80 cents.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11620 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question...

I too have only seen 8R’s and Trade dollars with chop marks.

What Conder101 posted sounds right ... I have seen many thousands
of Morgan dollars ... never seen one with chop marks
GoldRush58 - GR58
Pillar of the Community
United States
2066 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Condor101 notes it does not make any sense for a Morgan to be used in trade with China. In 1878 a US importer could exchange raw silver at the mint for Trade Dollars at around 80 cents on the dollar or buy Trade Dollars at melt value. Why would the importer pay $1 for a Morgan at less weight for a coin that Chinese did not want. The use of the Trade Dollar with China came to an end by 1881, and there are no official US records of Trade Dollars being returned to the US from China after 1881.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26574 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen one, to be honest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4174 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen one before.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15470 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen US merchant advertising counter stamps and glued stick on paper for the same purpose, but never with a Chinese C/S.

I'm also sure there are probably few collectors for them. If you find one, regardless of scarcity, I doubt it would cost much.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05