Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

So what do you see wrong first? 1843 seated liberty dollar.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  7:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was found by a friend in a box of antiques that had been in the attic since the 1940s . I already know itís a fake because of several things , one it has a medal alignment. What else jumps out at you? Hard to believe these were being faked and apparently circulated that long ago.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrong reverse
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chinese counterfeit. Didn't know they were making them like this 40 years ago!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14730 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is so terribly bad that anyone with the slightest knowledge of the series would laugh rather hard.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8108 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "snowflake" stars, don't know why, but my eyes/always go there first. Hey, that's a dollar, I just got hold of a fake Barber dime that had been circulated!
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes all the above. The reverse wasnít even around till 1866 and the stars are horrible and it has a medal alignment and weighs 19.6 g and it has been circulated. How was this not caught? Crazybo thatís cool. Itís amazing what people will do even for a dime or the Henning nickel even that small a denomination.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13834 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rims and denticals on the obverse told me it was fake while it was still loading. Hadn't even seen the reverse yet.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condor101 the denticals and rims are horrible on both sides they are terribly weak and off center. Itís so bad itís hard to believe something like this can remain in circulation long enough to get worn. Crazybo what gave away the merc you found ? I would like to see it.
Edited by Potbellypub
01/14/2018 07:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3282 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any collector who knows what a Seated dollar is will be laughing at this horrible counterfeit.

Here are the things I see:
1. Denticles
2. The reverse with IN GOD WE TRUST was not used in 1843.
3. The color is off.
4. At 2 o'clock on the obverse, it looks mushy.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25301 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super thread, sorry I got here so late!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree silverdollar. Coinfrog you didnít get here too late .thanks for everyoneís participation.
Edited by Potbellypub
01/14/2018 6:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25301 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish there were more challenges like this - thanks!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13834 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Itís so bad itís hard to believe something like this can remain in circulation long enough to get worn.

It didn't, this isn't a contemporary counterfeit, it's a modern Chinese counterfeit. Probably less than ten years old.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05