Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland collectors unite!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  12:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How many of us are there on this forum? Alive and active?
Can we count it out?
I'll volunteer to start the counting...
1. TheDeductible

Having collected Newfoundland coins for years, I wonder where we all are. I know there's not a ton of us, but it makes me wonder if there is a different forum where Newfoundland collectors come together to chat. Is there? Please tell me if I missed the boat on that one. Please!

My grandfather started me collecting coins when I was young and the appreciation for old and collectible things just stayed with me. I've collected all kinds of stuff, some of which I can't seem to let go, but most of everything that wasn't dear to me went up for sale and eventually went in to my Newfoundland collection.

I'm trying to complete the set at VF minimum, but as you all know, its tough as a witches you know what. Especially the key dates. Some of those you'd settle for in any condition just to fill the gap. Like the 1946 five cent, of which I have 0!

I'll post a coin for discussion soon and maybe we can have a chat.

Until then, lets start counting how many of us there are!

Learn More...
Canada
7966 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect the NFLD 1c series.... I have a PCGS Registry Set I am working on...

https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ca...edset/117576
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2328 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Count me in. My 1946 5c is an EF45 :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialtokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And, do not forget Newfoundland also had their share of Canadian Colonial Tokens.

doug
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Newfie decimals and tokens. Also a member of the Newfoundland Numismatics Enthusiasts. We meet at the RCNA Convention each year.

Gene
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just recently started collecting NFL Vicky cents. Trying to keep it EF-ish.

Good to learn about Newfoundland Numismatics Enthusiasts!
Valued Member
Canada
283 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trimble to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect them too! Currently have a complete collection as per CCN Maritime coin listings (except, of course, where there are only a couple obverse examples listed). Also if I find an affordable variety, I'll poke that into the mess too! I'm working on upgrading some of the worn coins but higher grades can get expensive.

My 1946 5 cent is an ICCS EF-40 :)
Valued Member
Canada
283 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trimble to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should add that some of the 5 cent coins, while less expensive, proved more difficult to find in a decent grade than the 9 dates available to the $2 coins.
Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love those coins SPP! The 1940 is gorgeous.

Glad to hear about Newfoundland Numismatics Enthusiasts. Never heard of it before. Thanks 1960NYGiants (Gene)! It is very unlikely that I will travel to Ontario to attend for the 2018 show, however thanks for the lead.

So tell me more...What goes on at the meeting? How many show up? Do people bring their collections or just a few of their rubes or what?
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10485 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect the Newfoundland coinage also, have all complete sets, missing a couple dates in the five cent series.

Love the Nefoundlanders..
True North
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3422 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I scoop them up whenever I come across one, but no rhyme or reason to that, so I can't classify myself as a true "collector' of the genre. Did find an XF/AU 1941 5 this past week in a pile of what was being sold as "junk" silver.
Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2008 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I admit to being a bit of a hoarder of Newfoundland, most of it average to low circulation grade. I have a particular fondness for the 5 cent silver.
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tayloroftheaxe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can count me in as a casual collector of Newfoundland large cent and 20 cent pieces.
Learn More...
Canada
7966 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you like my coins TheDeductible, you should take a peek at the Perth Collection...

https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/no...meset/132549
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP..

Now that is a treasure!
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05