Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland collectors unite!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian-varieties's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to buy everything that's NOT in the PERTH COLLECTION.

Right now 2nd finest 50c NFLD Collection :D

https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ca...edset/164186

Pillar of the Community
United States
5590 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a some of differing denominations. I have never collected them seriously, but just liked them from having been able to visit there a couple times while growing up. Admittedly I have not seen my Newfie coins in awhile either.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested in NNE:

Enthusiasts of Newfoundland Numismatics
Bill Kamb E-mail: nfld73h@siscom.net

The website is a bit out of date but Bill Kamb is a great guy and will get you club info.

Gene
Edited by 1960NYGiants
01/17/2018 9:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4177 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a Newfoundland collector and just getting started on a registry set; I have one coin equal to the one in the Perth lol
Valued Member
Canada
229 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Varieties: how do you sleep with those beauties in your house?! Your set is on fire!
19 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddiesCoinStore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Newfoundland coinage, not really on a particular series at the moment. Just go after higher end coins that I like. Most of my coins are graded by ICCS but I have a 1880 2 dollar gold graded Au-58 by PCGS just recently added to the collection. I almost had a full set of lower grade coins but I sold all of them last year to help with my higher goal.
Learn More...
Canada
8094 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chequer - you have no idea how proud I was to own a coin, when the owner of the Perth Collection examined my 1938 NFLD cent and said, "You know, this one is nicer than mine"...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple of cents equal to those in the Perth Collection, but obviously across the entire one cent collection his is much nicer than mine. I first saw his back in about 2006 and knew I could never top it. Having said that, I do not think the one cent coins exist to create a set that would rank between ours.
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I have not collected Newfoundland coins but have recently been given a coin collection that has many Newfoundland coins in it, (hopefully replying to this topic is not frowned upon). Alot of the coins are in G, VG condition. The coin community has been very helpful in helping me identify the type, grade of these coins. I recently took them to a dealer who comes to town that advertised that he does appraisals. You've probably seen something like them. Bring me your coins and gold,silver. Thanks to the information received here I had knowledge that my coins were worth more than the $1.50 a coin that he had appraised and offered at. So thank you to the Newfoundland coin experts for giving me invaluable information.

Valued Member
Canada
229 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The email address for Bill Kamb does not work.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that. Try nfld73h@gmail.com, this is current RCNA listing in the CN Journal.
Valued Member
Canada
118 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EY_Pep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will be in Newfoundland in the summer, do NLFD coin sell for cheaper over there?
I was going to go to East Coast Coins and Collectibles in St. John's - anyone been?

I collect a variety of NFLD coins, mostly low to mid grade, but really enjoy collecting them - though I find it hard at the Toronto coin shows to find much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4591 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have 2 Newfoundland coins, both 50c pieces from the early 1900's.
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present
*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present
*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2332 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was going to go to East Coast Coins and Collectibles in St. John's - anyone been?

Haven't been to the actual store but we have bought from them on eBay for many years. Got a good chunk of our pre-confederation collection there!
Valued Member
Canada
229 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
East Coast Coins is a great shop. There is always a binder in there full of Newfoundland coins, but don't go there looking for high end or key date Newfoundland coins. Yes, you might find a few in there to add to your collection, but the owner sells his high end coins on his eBay site since that's where he has the most potential buyers. His prices on eBay can be amazing though. The best deals I've got have been from buying there. (aside from one fool who last year put a 1882 5 cent F15 on eBay for a $20 But-it-now price and I snatched it up).

To answer your question though, no: Newfoundland coins do not sell cheaper in Newfoundland. They are still rare here.

Now, I have gone in the store and gotten great deals. One time Rod (owner) had a roll of MS 1936 Large cent. He kept the reddest and sent them to ICCS but took me in his private office and gave me one of the others for $10! I usually leave the store with a smile.

When you go, be sure to remember they are only open Tues, Thurs and Sat. Its always worth stopping by though. You never know who was in there just before you got there and sold their grandfathers Newfoundland collection which is still sitting on the counter and you get first pick!

Bonus info: There are no other coin or collectible shops on the Avalon Peninsula. Don't bother looking.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05