Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland collectors unite!

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
118 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EY_Pep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Sounds like a good shop.
Even if the prices aren't any better, hopefully there is a bit more selection, since there are locals bringing in old coins/collections.
I will be sure to go by and check it out :)
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Muskokarocks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have started a type set. I couldnt live with another collection with impossible holes in it. Got a vf vickie 20c the other day. I also have some tokens.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2332 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saw that east coast coins listed a raw NFLD 1946 5c at auction this week if anybody with deep pockets is looking!
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe earlier I saw it listed for around $1200 for a while (with a best offer). I need one, if only I even had a pocket!

kuh_85 (and others): what would you grade the coin?
Edited by gangsta
01/31/2018 10:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2332 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  12:00 am  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My eyes aren't that good anymore for grading pics on a screen so I'd just say VF20-EF40 :-)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8294 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  02:14 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to the 2017 edition of Secret Santa, I received my very first Newfoundland coins:

http://goccf.com/t/298995&whichpage=16#2588752

Since then, I have added 5 and 20 cent type pieces (1917 & 1894, respectively) in similar low-grade condition. The $2 will probably never happen, but I can see working on a cent set sometime in the future. So my collection is at six coins, currently.

Thanks to Dustin6 for introducing me to Newfie coins!
Congratulations to our "carmine-hosed Boston warriors"! 2018 World Champions

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kuh!

Nice set there, spruett. I'm tempted to get a Vickie typeset myself.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2086 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And, do not forget Newfoundland also had their share of Canadian Colonial Tokens.

Amen to that!
Merchant tokens include an incredible variety of designs.
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good news guys, my lil' Newfie family is growing: I purchased this 1880 oval 0 (graded EF40 by PCGS) from member CV. .
According to the latest draft of Mr. Borsellino's book, this is the more common of the 1880 oval 0s, a narrow oval 0 or type IV (a). Time to look for the rarer type IV (b), i.e. wide-date, wide-gap, oval 0.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  01:18 am  Show Profile   Check canadian-varieties's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
62543 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I purchased this 1880 oval 0 (graded EF40 by PCGS) from member CV.
Very nice!
Valued Member
Canada
229 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Gangsta!

Do you know where I can get the latest copy of Mr. Borsellino's book?
Learn More...
Canada
8097 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin at a desirable grade... my Oval (or narrow) 0 is one I will not be upgrading in my PCGS Registry, as I have Remick's coin currently at the same grade (PCGS EF-40)... I put a lot of sentimental value in the Remick Pedigree...

Thanks for sharing, compared to mine, they are very similar in grade, yours could be EF-45, compared to mine. My coin looks to be of the same type as yours...

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

The new version of the book is not out yet, and thus a draft. I missed out on the previous version, and wanted to purchase a copy; he was generous enough to sell me the old version with a partial draft of the additional varieties. It's a fun read indeed.

Edit: To answer your question, he can be contacted via his eBay store bmbquest.
Edited by gangsta
02/08/2018 1:22 pm
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin and pedigree, SPP! I'm really proud to have a coin that you consider a keeper (this is the most costly penny I've ever bought).

Yes, as per Mr. Borsellino, another quick way of identifying the rarer type IV(b) is to ensure that the wire border is complete under NEWFOUNDLAND, specially under W and A. However, there might be some type IV(a)s that also have this property, but not vice versa.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05